Permit Season - Where next? - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-27-2010   #1

Albany, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
Permit Season - Where next?

We are a group of rafters from the mid-Willamette Valley in Oregon that regularly boat the Rogue and periodically get on the Salmon (Miiddle Fork, Main, Lower) and Snake Rivers. We scored a Grand permit and had our trip of a lifetime in 2007 and were fortunate to get a late permit and run the Salt in May this year. Both of those were special discovery trips as noone on them had seen those rivers before.
Now that permit application season is on us, where should we look next for a week-longish trip that would make the drive from western Oregon worth the while? I'm already on the waitlist for the Alsek. For this year I was thinking we could look at some of the Utah / Colorado runs. What's there that you'd consider must-do? What's the recommended timeframe (we're competent in Class IV water, would like to avoid bug season)?

Thanks a lot,
Jerry Malloy

malloypc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2010   #2

Jenks, Oklahoma
Not sure it is worth the drive from Oregon, but either Yampa or Lodore early in the season is scenic and if water is up plenty of good rapids. Similar to the Rogue as far as rapids go. Scenery on the Yampa is pretty awesome if you like big sheer red walls.
okieboater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010   #3

Horserump, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
If you want to try and do a monster trip do a Dolores/Catarac trip. You run the whole Dolores then down through Little Proffessor Valley into Moab then on out to Cat. Cat permits are easy to get I'm not sure if you need a permit for the Dolores. You could probably streach that out to two or three weeks
yak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2010   #4

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by yak1 View Post
If you want to try and do a monster trip do a Dolores/Catarac trip. You run the whole Dolores then down through Little Proffessor Valley into Moab then on out to Cat. Cat permits are easy to get I'm not sure if you need a permit for the Dolores. You could probably streach that out to two or three weeks
Just remember that the window of opportunity on the Delores can sometimes be quite small.
Old 11-28-2010   #5

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Deso/Gray is a nice trip if you get a permit before bug season.
Old 11-28-2010   #6

Fresno, California
Paddling Since: 1979
Not quite so epic, but moreso than the Rogue....I'm assuming you've done the Owyhee?
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010   #7

Albany, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
Not quite so epic, but moreso than the Rogue....I'm assuming you've done the Owyhee?
At this point I'm focusing on permited rivers since they may take multiple years of applying to get a desirable permit.
I consider the Owyhee (and Grande Ronde, John Day, and Illinois for a few of us) backup choices for the years we get skunked in the lotteries.
We typically make a trip in August in conjunction with the perseid meteors and the Bronze, Blues & Brews Festival in Joseph, OR.
Last year we had a split group with some on the Lower Salmon and others on a Hells Canyon permit. This year I'll be trying for a Main Salmon permit in that timeframe.
Here I'm looking for early season (pre-July) ideas for not to miss places that we can access with less than two weeks time away from work. The Middle Fork Salmon and Selway are always on our list but they're not the easiest permits to get.
Thanks for the ideas, keep them coming.
Jerry
malloypc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010   #8

Oregon City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1972
Jerry, I just have to ask: What is happening in your avatar photo?
The Mogur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010   #9

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
I would echo Okieboater. The Yampa and/or Ladore are must see trips. They are tough permits to score, though. For my money, the Yampa is the most incredible canyon this side of The Grand. A bonus to the great boating is the unparalleled camping. These two canyons boast the most beautiful river camps anywhere, including The Grand.
Ladore allows 4 nights in the canyon, 6 days in Yampa.
Another monster trip would be the Green River from Flaming Gorge reservoir to Lake Fowl...er...Powell through Brown's Park, Ladore, Whirlpool & Split Mountain Canyons, Uintah Basin, Desolation Canyon, Labyrinth & Stillwater Canyons and finishing in Cataract Canyon. It is about 500 miles! It is my dream one day to organize an Iditarod style race on this strech. The Iditaraft! Who is up for it?
laughing water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010   #10

Jenks, Oklahoma
yup, my favorite Yampa camp and lay over if possible is just below Warm Springs Rapid on Yampa. Awesome views up canyon and on both sides of the river.
okieboater is online now   Reply With Quote