Performance of Aire Force and Lynx IK - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-13-2015   #1

Loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Performance of Aire Force and Lynx IK

So I was a hardshell kayaker for a number of years. I have run up to class IV runs on westwater, the Poudre, the Salt and a few others. I no longer kayak, but do have a raft. I am considering whether or not to get an IK for a preseason MFS trip instead of running my raft. Does anyone have any experience with these IKS and can tell me how closely they mimic a hardshell?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

John_in_Loveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2015   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I love paddling the force, it's feel tight and sharp compared to bigger ducks. Don't try to bring much with you because there is no room for gear, maybe a drybag or two. Aire has it on sale now...it looks like the current model has more rocker than I remember, has that been changed? I'm a big fan of Attila's boats at custom inflatables. The thrill seeker is a great boat and has room for a bit more gear. Probably the best combo of hard shell like paddling and gear capacity. They pack small and can be custom built...also are available in urethane instead of pvc.
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015   #3
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
The Force is sweet. Small Pelican stowed above the back float bag and water bottle(s) up front is plenty for day trips. You're probably not going to overnight with it.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2015   #4

Loveland, Colorado
How well does it eddy hop and ferry?

John_in_Loveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015   #5
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
If you are a hard shell boater the Force is gonna be your best bet. Lynx's are great too, I have one right now. I paddled an old school Force XL for a decade, it excelled at some things and sucked at others. Rocker was the one thing that boat was really missing. They really made an improvement with the transition from the floor to the tubes. The floor stuck down below the tubes too far on the original Force line, making a chin that water could grab. Turbulent eddy lines sucked. (Mule creek canyon on the Rogue was interesting) That said the Lynx is great, and has storage space. The Force you can pack a lunch on, the Lynx you can pack for a couple day trip if you go back pack style.
Old 11-15-2015   #6

boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I used to kayak, went to rafting, and now have 2 aire force ik's. I have not taken them on any 4's but they perform like a champ on the 3's. My other IK's feel much closer to a raft than a hardshell.
Old 11-15-2015   #7

GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_in_Loveland View Post
So I was a hardshell kayaker for a number of years. I have run up to class IV runs on westwater, the Poudre, the Salt and a few others. I no longer kayak, but do have a raft. I am considering whether or not to get an IK for a preseason MFS trip instead of running my raft. Does anyone have any experience with these IKS and can tell me how closely they mimic a hardshell?

If you're coming from a hardshell background, and want an inflatable to closely mimc that feel, there is nothing closer than this:

https://alpackarafts.com/product/alpackalypse/

Punches standing waves, carves into and out of eddies, braces and rolls much like a hardshell. Plus it's easy to self-support (like your preseason MFS) with all the gear inside the tubes.

I self supported the Grand Canyon in one of these last January. 11 days of bliss.

Check out some of the vids on their site to see what I mean.
Old 11-16-2015   #8

Jenks, Oklahoma
Impressive stuff!!

and it fits in a backpack
okieboater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015   #9

Enfield, New Hampshire
Bakraft??Thoughts? Its also gone down the GC, I think...
JIMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015   #10

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I'm surprised that I haven't heard more about the bakraft, seems like it would be an awesome ik and very similar to a hard shell
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aire