"Penobscot" Who's ran it? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-15-2008   #1

"Penobscot" Who's ran it?

Just wondering if anyone got any info on it. Thinking about going but its two days of driving for me or something like 2,000 miles which ever comes first.

kayakn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2008   #2

Isn't it only like 3-5 miles? Seems like a long way to drive to me. There's plenty of good stuff closer. While I have not done the Penob, I have heard good things (though I don't know if they were 2,000miles good; maybe 200, though).
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008   #3

Okay, the East Penobscot looks promising:

American Whitewater - NWRI - Penobscot, E. Branch Grand Lake Matagamon to Whetstone Falls

This'll give you more options in Maine:

American Whitewater - ME State Rivers

But personally, I'd stop in NC, WV, PA, or NY and cut down on the driving.
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2008   #4

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: 2005
I recommend npmb.com for more info.
deerfieldswimteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008   #5

I have run most of the sections of the west fork. It is a long way to go, but the Penobscot and its different forks have a lot of good sections. If I remember correctly the cribworks are the crux rapid on the west fork and it was IV+ ish or maybe easy V. The rest is III and IV. I spent a summer up in that area and there are quite a few good runs up there. If you are going to make the long trip you should paddle the Kennebec also. Also, if you can figure the logistics out try getting on the Rapid. Its great.
lagoonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008   #6

longmont, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakn View Post
Just wondering if anyone got any info on it. Thinking about going but its two days of driving for me or something like 2,000 miles which ever comes first.
I remember Cribworks is a fun short V- run that would complement trips with the Kenneback or a hike/rock climbing trip up Mt. Katahdan in Baxter State Park. I do remember a parkn'play waterfall drop a few miles downstream from Cribworks. The Kenneback is also packed with big wave trains at higher flows and is dam released and usually runs mid-summer. Not sure I'd drive from Colorado and if your heart is set I recommend combining your East Coast trip with something more like Moose Riverfest in the Adirondacks (October) or Gauleyfest but not sure the water is running in Maine in the fall. If you're in New England for other reasons, by all means have fun on the Penobscot and try to hit Acadia NP with a sea kayak!
buck123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008   #7

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Moose Riverfest in the Adirondacks (October) or Gauleyfest but not sure the water is running in Maine in the fall. If you're in New England for other reasons, by all means have fun on the Penobscot and try to hit Acadia NP with a sea kayak![/quote]

Bottom Moose may be the best river in the Northeast. I think it is all natural flow though. I have heard Penobscot is fun too but have only rafted it a long time ago. Not much inbetween the major drops. American whitewater has a good description of the run.
Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008   #8
BC

I went to school up there, really nice area. west branch Penob is good, the cribworks are the signature rapid, IV +, but not that hard at around 2000cfs ( normal release flows). It does have really flat sections in between rapids though. Hike Katahdin if you are there. Check out Gulf Hagas on the west branch of the pleasant river, clean waterfalls. The kenebec is prob the best boating river as is the Dead ( both have scheduled releases, though the Dead is more a spring time run). Local playboat run is called the Seboomook ( same area). Check out a few of the tidal playspots, Blue hill etc
BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008   #9

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: 2005
I go to school out E. Bottom Moose starts just below a dam. The release schedule is here Northeast Paddlers Message Board The Lower Moose is all natural flow. The lower is a fun day, IV, maybe some IV+ at higher levels. Bottom Moose is way too burly for me but it certainly looks impressive. Last time I was there I watched some rednecks try to shoot the airbags out of a recirculating canoe at the bottom of the first drop.
deerfieldswimteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008   #10
BC

ps there is a new guidebook for that region

Let It Rain: A Paddler’s Guide to the Rivers of New England, New York, and Eastern Canada by Alden Bird
BC is offline   Reply With Quote