PDX vs Seattle for summer...pros of each... - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-29-2012   #1

PDX vs Seattle for summer...pros of each...

Suuuup, yall!

I am in grad school and have a great (potential/likely) summer internship op at a company with offices in Seattle and Portland. Which to pick?

I am looking for - decent access to daily after work paddling. I know world class weekend range paddling is available in either location. Surf and other fun outdoor stuff also a bonus. I am an experienced paddler with many class 5 seasons. That being said, I'm, not looking to huck huge vertical (after years of daily creeking on waterfall runs I compressed a disk last summer) often. I'm looking more for quality over vertical. From what I've seen, OR seems to offer more waterfalls while Seattle offer more rapids/clean boulder garden type of runs.

In any case, any quick pros/cons on location for the summer would be sweet. Have never lived in the PNW but have made several creeking trips to BC and love it up there.

On another note, I do have a great op in Boulder for the summer. I am not basing the decision of which position to take on paddling (rather the professional relevance etc) but..... Who knows, I might be mankin it with the 303 crew this summer....

Advertisement

Old 03-29-2012   #2

Seattle, Washington
It's a no-brainer. Seattle would be a much better choice during the summer. We have bigger mountains up here that hold more snow and there are more options. A lot of creeks are high enough up in elevation that they don't go till runoff. And of course, BC is closer.

The snowpack is huge this year as you've probably heard...should be a great summer.

Btw, I think we paddled Callahan together when our groups converged. Maybe '08?
Yonder_River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012   #3

forks, washington
Pdx has way more boating ops that are within about 1 to 2 hrs drive.
fishhawk1400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2012   #4

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
I'd move to the little white broski..
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012   #5

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
two reason one is the little white second is you are closer to the north fork.. and cali..
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012   #6

Denver, Colorado
As a former Seattlite, PDX is better for WW boating. If you're looking for mountaineering or sea kayaking- go Seattle. The N Cascades and Olympics have great WW boating but, I think PDX will give you more variety in a smaller drive radius.
Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012   #7

bra.... portland is better for kayaking.... seattle is better for everything else in life.
seanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012   #8

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
As a former northwester who has lived near Seattle and in Portland and kayaked for close to 10 years in the northwest - I'd probably go with Seattle. Except for good years (might happen this year) the LWS is usually done by early may. After that there isn't much around Portland. As a general rule all the good whitewater is in Washington. Oregon doesn't hold much except big waterfalls. As the summer gets later you'll want to be close to BC and the cascades. There are some phenomenal runs near Seattle that are world class - like Ernie's. The flip side is that Portland is a much more livable city than Seattle. You really can't go wrong but if you move to Portland you'll be driving north as the summer progresses. Strictly speaking about paddling - Portland is probably best in the winter - Seattle is probably best in the summer. If only Portland was where Seattle is - it would be a no brainer.
oliverdeshler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012   #9

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
And don't listen to Casper mike. He has no idea what he is talking about. With the snowpack the NW is holding you won't be driving to northern Cali or the payette. Washington is holding some of the best whitewater in the country and you'll be scrambling all summer to get as much of it as you can.
oliverdeshler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012   #10

Thanks everyone. Good beta. Helpful. BC??? Yeah...