Patagonia documentary Film Teaser - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-22-2013   #1

Mad Scientist/Creeker
Patagonia documentary Film Teaser

About a year ago I won a contest put on by Otterbox to fulfill a dream of paddling the Futaleufu and Baker Rivers in Patagonia, Chile. Considering the current situation there, I decided to turn it into a much more ambitious project, and now I'm asking for the community's help. Check out the the teaser

If you've got the cash, please consider making a donation and if you're broke, you can still help the cause by spreading the word about the project, sharing it through social media channels and encouraging others to donate. We're trying to make this a community effort so you don't have to make a large donation, anything helps and there are a bunch of cool rewards for donating that make it pretty painless. There's even some Shred Ready T-Dub helmets on there!

Here's the fundraising page on Community Funded, a site similar to Kickstarter, that was recently developed in Fort Collins Somos del Rio - A documentary film | Community Funded

...and for more information on the project Somos del Rio | Reel Motion Media

Thanks for checking it out!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Thanks for your efforts Evan! Good luck! It looks to be a very well made documentary.Not that we need more proof of the destruction dams bring, but for a graphic illustration of why this is important. Checkout/search: Macal River History : A River Lost, and Macal Water Unfit for Human Consumption.I can 't get the links to work please just search it.The pictures say it all ( but read the text) .Of the whitewater photos only the two in the top row ( lower Vaca Falls runout and Horseshoe) are not underwater now.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013   #3

Geologist, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
In your project, are you proposing to fight the proposal for dams, or are you just seeking a virgin wild river to paddle without any dams?
jonny water is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013   #4

Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
Evan... Great start here and as always, everything you do is high quality. Very ambitious undertaking and I commend you for it. I am donating 25.00 today and will continue to do so as I can. I have paddled the Fu, and can't imagine that valley and gorgeous ww being lost, forever...
Good on you for bringing awareness and have as much fun as you can while doing it.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013   #5

Mad Scientist/Creeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny water View Post
In your project, are you proposing to fight the proposal for dams, or are you just seeking a virgin wild river to paddle without any dams?
It's kind of combination. At this stage, it's more of an investigation than a fight. I've wanted to paddle in Patagonia for long, long time and I've also been privy to the hydro-development struggle for a while as well. You can petition the government, or send funds to support groups working against the dams, but beyond that I've felt kind of paralyzed at this distance, and at the same time disconnected from the rivers and the struggle.

My general stance is that large scale damming, causing massive flooding and displacement of wildlife, fauna and/or people, is almost always something I'm against, but until you have a connection to a place and truly understand what's at stake for both sides, it's hard to have much more than an abstract opposition. The film is going to document our immersion in, and exploration of the rivers and the life they support, and our investigation of the struggle between Chile's real need for energy and hydro-development in Patagonia. Our hope is that by following along on our investigation our film can bring not only greater awareness, but also greater understanding of the place, the struggle and also the alternatives that may save the rivers from being dammed.
Old 01-23-2013   #6

Mad Scientist/Creeker
Thanks Craw!!!
Old 01-23-2013   #7

Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
FYI, there was an error trying to sign up?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013   #8

Mad Scientist/Creeker
Hey Craw - will you PM me specifically what it said the error was, or what the problem signing up was. You're the second person over the last couple days who had some issues, so just want to make sure I can get it resolved .Thanks.
Old 01-23-2013   #9

Mad Scientist/Creeker
Craw, checked out the situation with the site admins and there was something wrong with the process. It was not taking people to the "thank you for signing up" page, but you should still have an account. You should be able now to just sign in with whatever credentials you set-up and go from there. Let me know if you still have issues. Cheers!
Old 01-23-2013   #10

Geologist, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
I think you approach is great (and strategic). I have the same views as you, but understand that energy sources are often limited and typically carry very real consequences. We (as a society) have to weigh all the pros and cons before making these very consequential decisions (as to where our energy comes from). As you know, water is a very powerful, pure form of energy. You will walk a fine line between being a journalist and biasing your opinions. Best of luck on your project! The image of your daughter naively "playing" with the water is powerful.
jonny water is offline   Reply With Quote