Parkdale ice? - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-12-2010   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Parkdale ice?

It's been good and warm for a few days and in the 60s today and the forecast is for 60 tomorrow.
I'm jonesing hard and thinking about a Parkdale run - but I hear that there were ice bridges last week.
Has it been warm enough for long enough that they are gone? Does anybody have a visual yesterday or today, specifically Spikebuck to Parkdale?
If it's mostly clear, I want to run it tomorrow afternoon.
Any info is appreciated. Thanks.
-Mike

Id725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2010   #2
Kayak/SUP Instructor

The High Ground, Colorado
I looked at it on Sunday. The dams are 'mostly' above Pinnacle. Three Rocks, Spike Bucks Five Points and Sharkstooth were open with a few dams below Sharkstooth. Taking out looks difficult due to the 2' ice shelves along the banks.
Old 01-12-2010   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Thanks -
With these warm days since you saw it, I'll hope that it's maybe even a bit better than what you saw. I might check it out tomorrow.
Anybody interested in a wednesday afternoon run ó drop me a pm or something.
Id725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2010   #4

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
It has been warm, but what counts is the shade. I would not expect the ice banks to retreat just yet. Still, as long as one side of the bank has some sunshine, you should be able to find a ice free eddie. Anything in shade will be iced up. Just bring a mountain bike and ride the whole run first to see the ice conditions.
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010   #5

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I have the day off tomorrow, and would really like to go boating, but I don't think the ice situation will be good down there. It just doesn't get enough sun.
I know the milk run is clear...it's lame, but it's the only thing on the Ark that I know you can boat and get out of safely right now.
If anyone has got a visual of Rincon, I would be interested in it's condition. II+, III- with a little play at these flows, if it's clear...
lmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010   #6

Boatin', Colorado
I checked Parkdale out today. It's doable. There's a bridge below Spikebuck in the swimming hole that could be portaged. The ice is pretty built up along the banks for a good portion of the run. You'd be walking over ice if you take out at "old" Parkdale, but it's better than climbing up the ice at Parkdale. Post if you go.
Peev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010   #7

salida, Colorado
saturday might hit 60, anyone interested in paddling?
psu96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010   #8

C.O.
Too late for the Wednesday trip, but I'll be taking a few pictures of the ice situation later today and will post them tonight.

ps.... don't even think about the section above 3-forks. That's the worst ice in the canyon, by far.

I have no idea what the Royal Gorge looks like.
"So in two seconds, away we went, a sliding down the river, and it did seem so good to be free again and all by ourselves on the big river and nobody to bother us." -Mark Twain (The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn)
Ed Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010   #9

Boatin', Colorado
Parkdale looked better today. There's still a small ice bridge below Spikebuck in the swimming hole and it was thin. Taking out at Parkdale wouldn't be a huge issue. The weather is suppose to change tonight and tomorrow which may build the ice back up a little. 60's in Canon City is not 60's in the canyon.

The Gorge is iced over heavily in parts, no sun is getting down there.
Peev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010   #10

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by psu96 View Post
saturday might hit 60, anyone interested in paddling?
I'd be interested in doing it either Saturday or Sunday. I'll send you a PM.
BullSCit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark