Palm Customer Service??????? Zipper problem! - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 09-20-2011   #1

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 06
Palm Customer Service??????? Zipper problem!

Has anyone heard from Palm customer service recently? My wife is currently (9/20/2011) being directed to the UK for service/repair.

They used to be on the east coast right?

So the plastic rear zipper is separating and/or not closing right. Has anyone else had this problem and what have you done? I have seen some of the Stikine suits (this one is an element) with this plastic style zipper.

Don't get me wrong, palm suits are impressive - thickness of fabric, thickness/durability of gaskets, and fit. They are good this one just has a tiny issue that is complicated by overseas customer service???

Advertisement

Old 09-20-2011   #2

The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
I had a very scary incident with my wife in a palm dry suite related to a zipper malfunction. The zipper split once and started to fill with water while swimming. Luckily it just resulted in a mild case of hypothermia, but I still have nightmares of the entire suite filling with water and dragging her to the bottom.

That being said I still bought her a Palm a couple years later but we are very very careful about keeping the zipper clean and lubed and that helps a lot but we still double and triple checking that it closed correctly every time.
Old 09-21-2011   #3

Moscow, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
Rg, I had a similar problem with the metal zipper on my Stikine suit. I contacted Palm about it last February and didn't get a response until April. That response said "we'll look into this," which made no sense because my drysuit is in Idaho and the Palm's customer service is now located in England. Their US distributor/customer service dropped them in early 2011 and I haven't heard of a replacement. Suffice it to say, they didn't do anything to solve my problem.

I went out an bought an IR Double D and couldn't be happier with it. Better fit, better zipper, US-based customer service I can trust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2011   #4

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Palm doesn't have a US Representative at the moment. They are working on it.
Old 09-21-2011   #5

Moscow, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
They've been "working on it" for about a year. That equals no US customer service for about a year. Moreover, their customer service in England is totally unresponsive. So, Palm has no customer service if you own one of their (expensive!) products in the US.

Not a good way to run a business and not a good thing for customers whose lives often depend on a properly functioning drysuit. That's why I went with IR.
Old 09-21-2011   #6

Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
After my 2nd Stikine started leaking after two months and my GF's suit blew out on the 2nd day of a February Canyon trip, I gave up on these tossers. Call them that when you talk to them.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011   #7

All over, The USA
Paddling Since: 1920
I don't understand why people here in the U.S support and buy this forign crap. If its cause you bought it cheap and used thats one thing but we have two awesome compaines IR and Kokatat here in the good Old USA. Kokatat even makes all their stuff here.
asshole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011   #8

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by asshole View Post
Kokatat even makes all their stuff here.
I am pretty sure they outsource quite a bit, given the GMER and their top of the line drysuits are american made but all there gear is not.
kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011   #9

All over, The USA
Paddling Since: 1920
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakfreakus View Post
I am pretty sure they outsource quite a bit, given the GMER and their top of the line drysuits are american made but all there gear is not.
I don't mean to turn this into a kokatat add but I was somewhat wrong in what I said and didn't do my research before I posted like you so here is what kokatat says.

"40 years into the business, we remain committed to manufacturing the majority of our gear in Humboldt County."

"40 years later Kokatat still thrives in Arcata, CA. You can walk in the front door of the factory and hear the hum of sewing machines, bringing you the most complete line of paddling apparel and personal flotation devices (PFDs) available. Adam in design can tell you about last week’s killer surf or you can chat with Matt in marketing about the CFS last weekend on the Trinity River. You can even talk to one of our gear artisans about the finer intricacies of waterproof seam taping, if you’re into that sort of thing. Have a GORE-TEX® drysuit from the late twentieth century? Chris in our repair department will test it for leaks and refurbish it for you."
Kokatat | About Us
asshole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011   #10

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 06
thread poachers!

Let the rest of the world produce durable goods, we can focus on invention, intuition, and most importantly LEISURE!

in other news I think this palm thing may be going the wrong way. I can tell you the fabric is bomber and their gaskets are better though!