Paddling PA? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-01-2007   #1

Paddling PA?

Hoping somebody can help me out. I am going out to a family reunion near Grand Canyon of PA. I know of two river that I can run while we are out there. Pine Creek and Lehigh. Does anybody know of clubs or poeple I can hook up with while I am out there???? Other rivers I should try? We will be out there the first two weeks of July. I also need information on the rivers, the basics: put in - take out, miles, rapids, permits, fees, and flows. Is there a book? Thanx for the help!

jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2007   #2
Don

Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990
PA boating

I'm from PA and I've never heard of any Grand Canyon there. Do you have a city to give me as a point of refference? Pittsburgh SW, Philly SE, Erie NW, or Reading NE. I can give you some better info when I know where you are going.
Old 05-01-2007   #3
JBL

Gnarnia, Colorado
Check it: Tioga County, PA Visitors Bureau and the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania PA Grand Canyon
JBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2007   #4

Send a message via AIM to DesertBoater
check out the northeast paddlers message board...you may find some info there...i think it's www.npmb.org
DesertBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007   #5
Arn

Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
I am from Wellsboro, which is the town next to the Grand Canyon of PA and can give plenty of BETA on the area. Here is a link to an outfitter there may have a guide book for it. I was once a guide on the mighty Pine Creek. It is mostly a float with two Class II+ to III- rapids in it. The rest is flat water. It is a beautiful Canyon with a Rails to Trails trail along it. Great hikes along the way with water falls. You may be able to do an overnighter on it as well. In July you may not have enough water in it to float it though. You will need to check with this local outfitter

http://www.pinecrk.com/
Arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007   #6

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Don I can't beleive you have never heard of the grand canyon of pa.. It has been high on my list of places to check out when I go home to visit.

In july there isn't usually enough water in the lehigh to make it worthwhile, at that time of year the outfitters only run the float section from jim thorpe to lehighton, purely a flat water float.

If it rains a bunch or you happen to be there for a dam release weekend it is a pretty gorge with some class 2 possibly class 3 rapids depending upon flow. If it rains a bunch there are some creeks that flow into it that I know some of the folks run.
stinginrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007   #7

I'm from Easton and paddle with friends from the LVCC, Lehigh Valley Canoe Club, when I go back to the area. Check out their website: Lehigh Valley Canoe Club Home Page.
swimjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007   #8

Whatever TJ, you arent getting in any H2o....beyond the golden shower with your mouth open
bshack93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007   #9

Commercial Paleontology
PA Paddling

Hello Jimp,

I live in CO but I am originally from PA & actually currently visiting PA. I am headed down to the Yough today for two days which is in SW PA & running just fine. You can look up a website called PCVWA.com which is a local central PA site with folks who you may be able to hook up with. PA has plenty of stuff to run but much is only runnable with spring snow melt or storm dependent. We had a great storm last nite so some central PA stuff will be up over the next day or so. If you can get to a store that sells Keystone Canoeing by Edward Gertler you will have all the info you could possibly need. A few creeks to look at for the central region are the Schrader near Towanda class 2-4, The Loyalcock north of Williamsport class 2-4, Rock Run A great little- very little creek run also n. of Williamsport near Trout Run class 3-4 that's awesome & icludes 2 small waterfalls to drop if so inclined, The Black Moshannon just west of Bellefonte is a small creek class 2-4 which I ran the other day at low level but should be up for the next day or so if they got the same storm. Stony Creek more western PA is absolutely superb and just had a kayak rendezvous 2 weekends ago near Jonhnstown class 3-4, it's a surfing haven when in, If you want to be certain there will be water... go to the Yough at Ohiopyle, PA...it's dam release and has a great loop in the river where you can put in & 6 rapids later take out at practically the same place... a classic east coast class 3-4 river. Anyway this should help for starters...I am off to the Yough. Oh you can pretty much count on bacically no water in Pine Creek, worth kayaking at that time of year & really that incudes most any PA creeks in unless dam release or there have been some good rains..Lehigh is a scheduled dam release.
MtnGuyXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007   #10

Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Don't feel bad, Don. I lived the first 21 years of my life in Penn's Woods and the only sentence I ever heard with "PA" and "Grand Canyon" in it would have been something like "Damn, it's a long drive from PA to the Grand Canyon."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
I'm from PA and I've never heard of any Grand Canyon there. Do you have a city to give me as a point of refference? Pittsburgh SW, Philly SE, Erie NW, or Reading NE. I can give you some better info when I know where you are going.