Paddling in the Denver area next week - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-15-2013   #1

Breaks, Virginia
Paddling Since: 1995
Paddling in the Denver area next week

I will be coming to Denver next week for a conference next week and wanted to know if there were any quality 3/4 runs near there that would be running. I am an east coaster with solid 4 skills and could bring everything except paddle and boat. If the runs are there, suggestions on where to get a boat and paddle.

Thanks!

cerebus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2013   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Slim pickens right now as runoff is done.

Waterton canyon is about 1 hr outside of town. Its a mile of III/IV with a walk back up to the car after you get out at a reservoir. Its the standard late season intermediate run.

There is also foxton on the north fork of the south platte just upstream of this. The roberts tunnel has to be on for this to flow.

Both of these runs can be done leaving denver at 5PM and you get back around 9-10 PM, so its good afterwork timing.

Check riverbrain for flows when you get out here and post when you are here to hook up with folks to paddle with. You can rent gear at local shops like confluence kayaks or golden riversports.

There are also a couple of low water play holes at confluence and golden that are at minimal flows, but you can still get wet.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
You will also have Royal Gorge as an option. It is a two-hour drive, but a pretty cool run in a hell of a canyon. The flow will be low, but not below minimum.
Id725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2013   #4

Breaks, Virginia
Thanks

Thanks guys...Royal Gorge looks like a pretty sweet run. I figured that I had missed prime season but hated to pass up the opportunity the opportunity to paddle in. A beautiful gorge out there. Looks like Royal Gorge will fit the bill.
Old 08-16-2013   #5

Indian Hills, Colorado
btw, confluence kayaks in Denver can rent you a boat and paddle. Royal gorge isn't the greatest whitewater at low flow, but is pretty damn beautiful.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013   #6

Breaks, Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanOrion View Post
btw, confluence kayaks in Denver can rent you a boat and paddle. Royal gorge isn't the greatest whitewater at low flow, but is pretty damn beautiful.
After doing some lurking and video watching, that seemed to be my take on Royal
Gorge. Ill take beautiful since I am on vacation. Will check out confluence for sure