Paddler Magazine - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-28-2010   #1

oh yeah
Paddler Magazine

Denver is listed as a best city to live in as a paddler since it is a "....gateway to all the notorious Rock Mountain classics--Black Rock, Bear Creek, Turkey Creek and Eleven-Mile."

Do the editors at Paddler Magazine actually paddle?

danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2010   #2

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
paddler mag

I think paddler went down hill in a hurry when they last switched editors. When my subscription runs out i think i'll be trying out canoe and kayak mag, got a couple of freebies awhile back and they were really good.
Old 02-28-2010   #3

Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by danger View Post
Denver is listed as a best city to live in as a paddler since it is a "....gateway to all the notorious Rock Mountain classics--Black Rock, Bear Creek, Turkey Creek and Eleven-Mile."

Do the editors at Paddler Magazine actually paddle?
Thats a joke right?

Dan what you up to?

KP
Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2010   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
They forgot Little Thompson,Lefthand , Tarryall, Cherry,and Buckhorn.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010   #5
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
"Paddler Magazine is a great magazine if you're looking at buying a sea kayak." -Bryan K.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010   #6

Indian Hills, Colorado
Despite the fact that bear, turkey and 11-mile never run and well, turkey creek is barely notable, Denver does have more great paddling within a day trip than anywhere else in Colorado. That, and the city has jobs and affordable housing. V's Big T, Gore, Clear, Boulder Creeks, St. Vrain, Poudre, NFSouth Platte...IV's Clear Creek, Poudre, Arky, Roaring Fork...III's South Platte, NF South Platte, Poudre, Arky.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010   #7

oh yeah
Turkey Creek is mankier than Bear Creek and Bear Creek may just be the mankiest piece of manky- manky imaginable.
danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010   #8

The next zone, .
Yea it has to be a joke.. Wait denver does have that super sweet play park right by the outdoor version of walmart right..

IMO denver does not even have saliver beat for a paddlin town and we all know salider is not at the top of the list..

Nice quote by kirk...
Old 03-01-2010   #9

That was an awful quote. Denver is a great place to live, and I've experienced my fair share of BV and Salida to know that great backyard kayaking only goes so far in making me call a place home. I need more than the BV bible belt for entertainment on Sunday. As a front-ranger, BV's kinda like my other backyard.

Bear Creek, Turkey and 11-mile? Huh? I'm an optimist when it comes to classifying runs as classics, but those don't cut it. Black Rock might be classic roadside, but if you wanted classic you might try LSB or USB for starters... or maybe a little known canyon called Bailey or Waterton. I don't mind mank if it's classic front range mank like SSV or Alto Alto, or even WF Clear Creek. Bear Creek is a novelty and Turkey is just dumb. 11-mile can be cool, but Cheesman is actually worth mentioning.
Old 03-01-2010   #10

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Lefthand will give Bear a run for it's manky,and a couple of the manmade drops on Cherry would be the grand champions of mank if they lasted any distance,just rows of sharp rocks of varying size imbedded in concrete riverwide.

I don't know why they listed those picks,but I'd say the front range has more runs[30+] and variety than the Ark and tribs[apx 15].The Ark,Poudre, and Summit Co. are doable as day trips from Denver too.Ark has alonger season.BV and Salida are better but FR has at least 6 play parks,I guess there is Pueblo and Canon City now on the Ark.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote