Paddle length question - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-27-2011   #1

Farmington, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
Paddle length question

I have a Werner Sho-Gun. I ordered it 203cm because I am 6'4" I have always felt that was a little long. I would like to get it cut down to 200cm or 197cm. I feel that the long paddle is keeping me from getting a more vertical paddle especially in creeks. Any ideas. How short or how long should I go.

Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2011   #2
gOtTaGokAyAkn'

Ashville North Carolina, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Personal choice.

I love paddling my 200cm everywhere. When it's shallow and scrapy I do not attempt a vertical stroke until the lip of the boof. I like the power of the longer stick. I also like the added length for bracing. If you have shoulder problems; smaller blades and shaft might be less destructive. I'm 5'11'', I need to choke up on my shaft to be square and able to make a good oververt boof stroke. Maybe your hands are too close to the blades. Shoulder width and strength has more to do with paddle length then height.
Old 10-28-2011   #3

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
What offset do you guys use? I got a paddle for my first IK, and it is too long and too much offset. So I'm going to modify it, shorter and change the offset. I'm not sure if I should go 30 or 45 degrees. I have quite a bit of tendonitis if it matters.
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2011   #4
gOtTaGokAyAkn'

Ashville North Carolina, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
I've changed my offset to 22 degrees. I like a 30 degree, my left palm is not as tight on a right stroke as it is with a little less offset. I got to here by changing my offset by 2 degrees over my last 4 paddles.
Old 10-28-2011   #5

x, x
Paddling Since: x
you can send the sho-gun back to werner and they can cut it down for you. I bought the exact length and blade with a zero degree offset, the 203cm creeker took some getting used to but l love it now.

if you want to sell your paddle send me a pm with the offset and a price you would like to get.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011   #6

x, x
Paddling Since: x
lhowemt,

the standard creek ofset is 45 and a playboating is 30.

they are now finding the less offset between the blades especially in playboating makes people more responsive on either side.

I would say 15-20* is perfect for creeking/playboating.

ever since i switched to a zero degree offset I am bomber with the brace and the roll on either side
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011   #7

winnipeg, manitoba
what IS the rule to go by generally? (river run, playboat).

my GF is 5'-0" and looking to pick up her first paddle - obviousely dont wanna go too long. Suggestions?

Also, what if she DOES use a paddle too longer than ideal? what drawbacks occur?
THX
adamsnez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011   #8

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
Here's a link to the Master's website. Jim Snyder has been designing and making paddles for 35 years. He's got some interesting thoughts on feathers, lengths and general design. I use his "Flo" design. Its a piece of functional art. Its my most valued piece of gear by far. I have probably close to 500 days of use on it and it looks new (and much of my boating is bony ELFing). It takes care of my wrists and shoulders. He's the man.

Rivrstyx custom wood kayak and canoe paddles
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011   #9
gh

pnw, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
What offset do you guys use? I got a paddle for my first IK, and it is too long and too much offset. So I'm going to modify it, shorter and change the offset. I'm not sure if I should go 30 or 45 degrees. I have quite a bit of tendonitis if it matters.
Forget the standards and go with what feels right. I use a 10 degree offset, much easier on the wrists and tendonitis. I would never use a 45 degree again, why would you unless you are racing?
Old 10-30-2011   #10

bc, CA
Paddling Since: 2007
If you have any type of wrist problems a 12 - 15 degree is technically neutral. Try it. Put your hands out in front of you (or better yet hold you paddle) and make a paddle stroke. By just turning the shoulders and dropping the blade toward the water, your the blade will automatically turn approximately 12 degrees depending on your height, with no twisting of the wrist.
Whoa...that much hated Trigonometry I was forced to take in school finally paid off. Oooops my nose is growing....somebody actually did the math for me.

I paddle with a 191 - 12 degree. I'm 5'5" if I really stand tall...well almost!!
brenda is offline   Reply With Quote