paddle captain - how not to get launched? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-17-2012   #1

norcal, California
paddle captain - how not to get launched?

Playing paddle captain last weekend I decided to go through a couple of larger (friendly) holes. Both times, when the boat hit the hole and decelerated I got launched into the air, landing forward in the raft. All good fun, but I'm wondering how real guides manage to stay put in this situation. Thanks.

barcolounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2012   #2

DGO, CO
Paddling Since: 2002
i have 50/50 luck with one foot in the foot cup and the other foot bracing against the rear thwart. the downforce created by keeping your padddle blade in the water and making a stroke will help kinda "push" you into the boat too
Old 07-17-2012   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Lift your butt off the back tube and shift slightly forward while keeping your knees bent just before you hit. Getting launched is usually not just from the deceleration from hitting the hole, it is also from the boat flexing at impact and starting a 'taco' movement - both the bow and stern raise slightly (unless your boat is really soft) like you were folding a flour tortilla into a taco shape. Often the hole wants to press the front of the boat down so the flex gets pushed to the back of the raft - violently, resulting in your air time. So get your butt forward off the rear tube and be ready for the upward motion of the rear tube.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2012   #4

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
I flew to CA for my bachelor party and rented a 1970's Hyside with military valves called "The Lorax" (It was the only boat we could get) and paddle captained some of my good guy friends down Cherry Creek. That thing was a taco fest and a true guide launcher like I had never experienced before. It was so bad that I actually knocked my front tooth out on one of the first drops when my face contacted the first aid kit strapped to the front thwart. Lewis' Leap was a launch like no other. I have it on video somewhere, maybe I will dig it up for everyone's entertainment.

My point is, the boat may have a lot to do with it. I have paddle captained a lot of boats and and am pretty good at not getting launched, but "The Lorax" was something special indeed. Since getting a new boat (Sotars and Marvs are really good about not launching) may not be practical, here are some other tips:
1) Put more air in the boat to reduce the taco/launch effect.
2) Sit more along the side of the boat instead of the highest point on the back.
3) Change up your foot placement. If you guide right, jam your left foot behind you at the confluence of the floor and both sides.
4) Get off the tube. Its embarrassing to sit on the floor, but it may keep your teeth in your mouth. Standing up and using your legs as shock absorber is an option too.

Knocking the tooth out on the bachelor party wasn't too big of a deal. Shannon Carroll (Bad-A chick kayaker) was guiding a commercial trip and was also missing a tooth from an experience on Upper Cherry Creek. It also provided an excuse to medicate and it was kind of like in the movies.
Old 07-17-2012   #5

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
As others have said, just stand up and get your ass off the tube before you hit the hole. Instead of getting launched, the tube will rise up to meet your ass, and you can sit back down on it like it ain't no thing.
jsyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012   #6

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsyz View Post
As others have said, just stand up and get your ass off the tube before you hit the hole. Instead of getting launched, the tube will rise up to meet your ass, and you can sit back down on it like it ain't no thing.
Your mileage may vary...

But last weekend I used this technique and got slapped in the special danglies by the tube when we hit the hole. Didn't lose a tooth - but the next hour sitting on a urethane tube wasn't pleasant.
Old 07-17-2012   #7

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by laterwagged View Post
Your mileage may vary...

But last weekend I used this technique and got slapped in the special danglies by the tube when we hit the hole. Didn't lose a tooth - but the next hour sitting on a urethane tube wasn't pleasant.
Do it right, don't get launched.
Do it wrong, get a slapshot!!
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012   #8

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I've been wondering this as well, I've been launched like a freaking lay-up at both Toilet bowl and Seidels - both times I was reaching for the chicken line. Maybe I should just give up on that last paddle stroke and reach earlier? Put in foot cups? I sure wish I had footy of myself flying through the air like a Jordan jumpshot!
Old 07-17-2012   #9

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
I've got stern foot cups. They won't keep you from getting launched--maybe one foot in the cup, one on the thwart + stand up at the right time?
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012   #10

norcal, California
Thanks! Seems like plenty of good advice. Maybe I won't be needing velcro after all.
barcolounger is offline   Reply With Quote