paddle blade size for a Tomcat - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-17-2018   #1

Enfield, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 1990
paddle blade size for a Tomcat

I am trying to figure out the correct blade size to move a Tomcat around. I spent $$s on a very light carbon paddle but the lightness is being outweighed by the small sized blades, about 610 sq cms. Any recommendations for blade sizes and paddle brands?

Was thinking of the Carlisle Day tripper which had worked well for me in the distant past but am open to other ideas. Not wanting to spend very much unless I can get rid of my present paddle.
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

JIMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2018   #2

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Looks like you answered your own question. BTW, what is your carbon paddle?

I prefer a step up from the Day Tripper and use a Carlisle Magic Plus for my beater upper paddle and loaner. A bit heavy but fairly bomb proof.

What length do you prefer in your Tomcat. I have a Lynx Tandem but never really use it. A 230 seems to work for the people I lend it to.
GeoRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018   #3

Enfield, New Hampshire
paddle question

I am using a 220 although for the Tomcat a 230 may provide more oomph. I have the 220 since I have a smaller IK also, the Sevy sk100ds which I use far more often and a 230 would be too big for it.

My carbon paddle is the AQManta ray with the posilok ferrule. It weighs around 27-28 ounces I think. Black color.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2018   #4

Fort Collins
I like the werner Tybee for my duckies (tomcat, lynx, outlaw). It is reasonably affordable, feels good to paddle with. It is also designed more for whitewater (high strokes) than touring (low strokes). For whitewater, i use a 215 (I am 5'10") my kids (12 and 14) use a 210. If you go for a touring paddle, then get something in the 230 to 240 range, but I think that is too long for whitewater. Werner has a touring paddle that is comparable to the Tybee too.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Old 05-18-2018   #5

Enfield, New Hampshire
I went and checked the Calisle Tripper and the Magic and to my surprise the blades were much smaller in area than I expected. A friend of mine has the NRS PTF model of their paddle and likes it. It has a much bigger blade than most. Anyone else have experience with this?
Thanks.
Old 05-19-2018   #6

Fort Collins
One other thought on blade size, the size of the blade should also match you body build and paddling style. While a larger blade will have more power, it will also require more power from your muscles to move through the water. Whereas a smaller blade would require less force applied by the padddler. The large blade would naturally tend to come with a slower cadence than a smaller blade. It is important to match your blade size to your strength and cadence for the best paddling experience. Werner, and probably other manufacturers, produce very similar paddles with different blade sizes to accomodate the different paaddlers out there. If you can find a different paddle to borrow, it will give you a good idea of how they feel.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

Tags
blade