Pack Rafting upper Cherry Creek - Mountain Buzz

Old 5 Days Ago   #1

salt lake city, Utah
Paddling Since: 1989
Pack Rafting upper Cherry Creek

I thought the community might be interested in a tale (and short video) of pack rafting California's iconic upper Cherry Creek section.

Here's the tale and pics: https://t-dawgspeaks.blogspot.com/20...adventure.html

and the video:

tdiegel is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 5 Days Ago   #2

flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1995
Great edit/video! i'm curious? where you a hardshell kayaer first? thanks steve
shoptech1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #3

salt lake city, Utah
I have been a long time hardsheller, but Jeff has been an exclusive pack rafter, aside from learning to roll in a hardshell. The skills absolutely transfer. It's sorta like a road bike (hard shell) to a mt bike (pack raft) ie a little slower (but not much).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 5 Days Ago   #4

That's awesome, thank you for sharing!
jeffro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #5

flagstaff, Arizona
thanks for the response tdiegel- im an ever learning hardshell kayaker , but the things folks are running in packrafts are remarkable! Im considering purchasing one to add to the fleet. Is that a gnarwal your running? do you suggest self bailer or skirt or both?!

thanks

S
Old 1 Day Ago   #6

Eagle, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoptech1 View Post
... but the things folks are running in packrafts are remarkable! Im considering purchasing one to add to the fleet...
S
Ok not to hijack this convo but...... I have to tell you what I saw a pack rafter do this weekend.....

I saw a fat tired mountain bike start the climb up the Colorado River Road headed to Cottonwood Put In..... not unusual.... Strapped to his bike he had what looked like a SUP or a Duckie rolled up..... not unusual. I got back up there from running shuttle and he was on the beach setting up hes pack raft (can't remember the brand).... then what happened next was the unusual part... in my mind .... he took the front wheel off of his bike and strapped the bike and tire to his pack raft?!?!?!?!?! Then proceeded to launch and eventually took out in Dotsero..... about 7 miles. Wish I had taken pictures!

He ran a skirt.....FYI
Nubie Jon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #7

GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubie Jon View Post
Ok not to hijack this convo but...... I have to tell you what I saw a pack rafter do this weekend.....

I saw a fat tired mountain bike start the climb up the Colorado River Road headed to Cottonwood Put In..... not unusual.... Strapped to his bike he had what looked like a SUP or a Duckie rolled up..... not unusual. I got back up there from running shuttle and he was on the beach setting up hes pack raft (can't remember the brand).... then what happened next was the unusual part... in my mind .... he took the front wheel off of his bike and strapped the bike and tire to his pack raft?!?!?!?!?! Then proceeded to launch and eventually took out in Dotsero..... about 7 miles. Wish I had taken pictures!

He ran a skirt.....FYI

This is more common than uncommon with packrafts. No need for a second vehicle, second person, etc...

Probably wouldn't work super awesome for Upper Cherry tho...
Old 21 Hours Ago   #8

Loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
That is a great video. I am curious as to who provides the music. It was perfect for the video
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Hour Ago   #9

salt lake city, Utah
that's a Wolverine. I normally paddle an Alpackalypse (and did so on the more-recent trip with Mikesee) but - long story - used my wife's new Wolverine for upper Cherry. The Alpackalypse is no longer formally in the Alpacka line, but I think you can still special order it. The Wolvy is great tho, and not that much different.

I have paddled a self-bailer a little and it was fine, and have done trips with good paddlers who have also done fine (creekin and big water). the performance differences are there (hull speed, ability to drain) but maybe only noticeable by the geeks? I think a skirted boat is warmer, but of course you always need to put the skirt on and the skirts don't last nearly as long as the boats. If you are accustomed to a skirt via a hardshell (ie aren't freaked by the concept of being "held in") I think a skirted boat is the better bet.
Unread 1 Minute Ago   #10

flagstaff, Arizona
Again, thanks for your response, I will make note of your comments. I've been to the Alpacka showroom and was treated to a description and fitting of their line! great folks at that company! I will have to look at the differences more closely next time between the wolverine and the gnarwal hull design. I think i would prefer the less "sluggish" hull design. syotr!

Tags
rafting