Owyhee River Camp Suggestions - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-11-2012   #1

Bozeman, Montucky
Paddling Since: 2009
Owyhee River Camp Suggestions

If the water is right we plan on going on the lower Owyhee during mid March. We would love any suggestions for camp sites or excellent day hikes. We don't have a huge group so smaller camps are quite alright. Thanks for your input!!

Katweena is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2012   #2

La Grande, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1984
Been down twice. First 6 miles or so across Rome valley, very slow and not much. Pruitt's Castle is worth some time exploring. Geology of this river is spectacular!! One camp I remember was just below Whistling Bird rapid. Be aware that the drainage for this river is HUGH and the water levels can fluctuate rapidly. River can drop out of itself. leaving you high and dry. are you getting out a Birch Creek or going down to the reservoir?
salmonjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012   #3

Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
My avatar picture was taken at Upper Greeley camp. Lambert Dome and Chalk Basin are both nice camps. We did a layover day at Lambert's and did quite a bit of hiking.

You may have water in March, given the way the snowpack is shaping up though, the river may not have a run at all this year.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2012   #4

Bozeman, Montucky
Getting out at Birch Creek, we don't have a motor yet. We're planing on staying at the Hike-Out camp site, the Ryegrass Left camp and hike to Chalk Basin the next day for a light day to Potters Cave, and finally our last night at Upper Greeley at the other hot springs. We want to be close to hot springs since weather can be pretty variable as well.

Do you know if camping is allowed at Potter's Cave? It doesn't have a camping symbol on the map, but I have seen others' photos camping there. If not, I will definitely look into your Whistling Bird campsite! I've read that the waters can be fluctuating and this trip definitely depends on whether or not we have any.
Old 02-13-2012   #5

Tigard, Oregon
Here's the trip report from our trip. The flows were really high when we went, we planned on staying at rye grass, then were not impressed when we got there and moved on. The hotsprings at Greeley were below the river line so no soaking for us on that trip.
Old 02-13-2012   #6

Bozeman, Montucky
Thanks for the trip report! Looks like you guys had a great time. I'm really excited to go, I just hope that we will be able to! Definitely not going to expect 9,000 CFS but hopefully just enough to float us down comfortably.
Old 02-13-2012   #7

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
TriBri1 for President.

I vote TriBri 1 as the best trip reporting reporter. I like reports that are compact, full of rad pictures, and with beta that is useful.

Great job TriBri1

Got any more????
tanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012   #8

Tigard, Oregon
Jason Rackley is the one responsible for the TR, he is great to have on trips. His site is Oregon Kayaking. There is a huge database of TRs there and if you submit a TR to his site he will add it.
Old 02-13-2012   #9

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
Great TR, much enjoyed!
Old 02-14-2012   #10
o_O

Denver, Colorado
Great trip report. I'm heading up a group of 4-8 sometime this spring... April or May maybe, depending on the flows.