Outfitting Help and Ideas - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-26-2008   #1

B.F.E., Wyoming
Outfitting Help and Ideas

I need help making my LL Airhead a little better fit. I have noticed when I start going a bit harder I really move around a lot inside. Also I don't think its a good thing when you start to slide out when you go upside down is it??
My dimensions are 6' 190#
I would also like to be able to either make everything or be able to buy it at any hardware store or such. Super cheap here!!
So far I've got:
1.Put in hip shims and pads. I've got the self adhesive pads that came with the boat but they over hang a lot on the post that they go on. Any ideas on how to solve this?? Or better alternatives that cost very little(I mean super little) and require not ordering anything.
2.Move the foam bulkhead forward about 4-6 inches.Not really much help on this one but if you've got any ideas don't hold back.
3.Create better thigh hooks. Maybe shave a couple of blocks so there are like pockets for my knees.
I had no idea what I was buying when I got it, And knew nothing about the sport when I made the purchase. I wish I could get a new boat but for now I've go to make this work.

I would like any ideas you have
I expect the almighty buzzards to prove their expertise in kayak outfitting while keeping the costs down. I know there are a bunch of you cheap boaters out there.
Thanks for anything you can help with,
Luke

freexbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2008   #2

Cisco, Utah
Paddling Since: Dawn
a couple'a rocks and some duct tape aughta work
UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008   #3

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
luke you are about 10 pounds to light for the boat but no biggy.. throw some foam under your ass to help bring your knees closer to the deck and build the foot block up with some ducktap so if forces your knees up into the braces more. the more hip support the better
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2008   #4

Denver, Colorado
When i had my EZ i hacked apart an old life jacket and used the foam out of it on the seat. Helped bring my ass up higher in the boat and made the thigh braces line up better.

I'd imagine you can also shim some lifejacket foam into the hip pads.
Old 06-27-2008   #5

Professional Transient, See above.
closed cell foam sleeping pad

In South America we'd just find an old foam ground pad, hack it up, duck tape it to shape, then glue it in with something resembling PVC cement. For more temporary attachment, use duct tape only to attach it to the boat. Don't be afraid to go in there with a knife to modify the foam either from the factory or that you've put in. It does take a little time, but can be customized to 100% perfection (may look like ass though). Make sure it won't come out during a swim.

My personal recommendations/experience with this is make it a bit too tight, as the foam will compress down significantly in the first 5 days of use or so. However, don't make it so tight that it makes you nervous. Always be able to get out of the boat in an emergency obviously. I like my boats snug.

If you can find a trashed ground pad in the basement, this usually only takes about $5 and an hour of time. A Ridgerest would work, but I wouldn't like the ridge texture to it.

Dave
st2eelpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008   #6

B.F.E., Wyoming
Thanks for the info sounds like I need to raise my seat with foam more than bring the footrest up. Well I think Ill go find somewhere I can get some foam that will work. (anyone tried home depot??)

Oh and Mike empty out your pm inbox
Thanks everybody
Old 06-27-2008   #7

Winter Park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Closed-cell Foam

Make sure you get closed-cell foam for your fitting. It is easier to carve/shape, glues well, and won't soak up a lot of water.

Don't think Home Depot carries closed-cell foam. Best bet is a kayak shop, or, as stated earlier, use a closed-cell foam sleeping pad (Walmart or Outdoor store).

Hardware store sells a spray-on glue that is ideal for outfitting. Spray on, wait until tacky, and stick. Works great!
Old 06-28-2008   #8

B.F.E., Wyoming
So I lucked out found some closed cell packing for our computer we got recently. found some spots that I could carve some out of well, duck and taped em up nice and tight.Whats the best way to conect it to my kayak tho?? Hope fully I'll get some pics up to show the end product.
what kind of glue were you talking about at the hardware store?
Thanks
Old 06-28-2008   #9

Wydaho, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by freexbiker View Post
what kind of glue were you talking about at the hardware store?
Thanks

Barge's cement is what I've used with success for years--generally any contact adhesive works well.
dvanhouten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008   #10

B.F.E., Wyoming
how thick should my ass pad be?? I know it depends on my fit but generally what is a good width to start at?
As you can tell I am completely new to this work.