Outfitting help - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-27-2012   #1
swimming

behind your mom, Colorado
Outfitting help

I have a L pyranha recoil, I'm 6'1, 190lbs. After about 25 min in the boat both my hips start to cramp really bad and my left foot falls asleep. I have a large chunk of foam in the bow and my toes aren't cramped. The seat is one notch from being all the way forward. I feel like it's either the hip pads or the seat? What can I do to fix this?

Thanks
Nick

streetdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2012   #2
swimming

nobody? I lowered the hip pads and pushed them as far towards the rear as I could, they were as high as they would go and I think that was cutting off circulation. I also added 1/4" foam where my heels rest in hopes this will fix some of the sleepy feet. What's the best way to add foam to under the seat with connect 30 outfitting? Has anyone used sweet cheeks with the connect 30 setup?
Old 07-28-2012   #3

Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Try flattening the front of your seat so your legs are not going up and over any seat hump on the way to the bow. Something to try, it helped me.Coon
SummitSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2012   #4
swimming

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitSurfer View Post
Try flattening the front of your seat so your legs are not going up and over any seat hump on the way to the bow. Something to try, it helped me.Coon
Thanks man, any idea if there is an easy way getting the cover off of the connect 30 seat without ripping it? It seems like it's riveted in. If I can't lower the front I might try and raise the rest a little to match.
Old 07-28-2012   #5

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I've struggled with the hip issue too. A standard outfitting trick I use is raising my seat by about an inch or so. I have boats with the Connect 30 too and ran into the same problem about getting the extra foam under the seat pad, but I ended up just sticking one of those NRS pre-molded seats on top of it and that has worked out very well.
Also, look at how your hip pads hit your hip-flexer. Your hip flexer is the muscle and nerve bundle that run along the outside of your hip... bend your legs like you're in a kayak and feel with your hands the sides of your hip. For me, I can feel my hip-flexer kind of pooch out when I do this. So if there is too much pressure on it, that may well cause that hip pain your talking about. Try getting your hip pads so they are a bit loser there but then nice and tight where they hit your hip bone.
Just a suggestion. That is stretching... can't stress enough the importance of stretching.
I hope you get it worked out!!

rivervibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012   #6
swimming

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivervibe View Post
I've struggled with the hip issue too. A standard outfitting trick I use is raising my seat by about an inch or so. I have boats with the Connect 30 too and ran into the same problem about getting the extra foam under the seat pad, but I ended up just sticking one of those NRS pre-molded seats on top of it and that has worked out very well.
Also, look at how your hip pads hit your hip-flexer. Your hip flexer is the muscle and nerve bundle that run along the outside of your hip... bend your legs like you're in a kayak and feel with your hands the sides of your hip. For me, I can feel my hip-flexer kind of pooch out when I do this. So if there is too much pressure on it, that may well cause that hip pain your talking about. Try getting your hip pads so they are a bit loser there but then nice and tight where they hit your hip bone.
Just a suggestion. That is stretching... can't stress enough the importance of stretching.
I hope you get it worked out!!

awesome man thanks! I've started to do some stretching before and after.. I think that's a big part of it. I was on the fence about picking up a seat pad, I'll check it out though now that I've heard someone else has done it.
Old 07-28-2012   #7
Don

Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990
Try this.

Don't lower your hip pads. Raise then and move them forward and maybe remove a shim. Try not to push in on the base of your torso. Try to hold your hips/butt/legs down to the seat.

I'm not saying that you want to be loose at all, but use other contact points in the boat to hold you in. Your butt doesn't stear the boat.

You're pinching out nerve and blood flow into your lower body.
Old 07-28-2012   #8
swimming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
Don't lower your hip pads. Raise then and move them forward and maybe remove a shim. Try not to push in on the base of your torso. Try to hold your hips/butt/legs down to the seat.

I'm not saying that you want to be loose at all, but use other contact points in the boat to hold you in. Your butt doesn't stear the boat.

You're pinching out nerve and blood flow into your lower body.
Thanks Don,

I've adjusted the hip pads up and all the way forward and it does feel a lot better. I also took out the hip shims. I messed around with foam on the seat, 1" makes the hip pads too low where it's a little painful again, 1/2" feels just about right. I think I'm going to look for 1/4" - 1/2" seat pad on monday to try out. I plan on spending at least a few hours in the boat on monday and tuesday I'll report back.
Old 07-28-2012   #9

other side, of the mountain
Paddling Since: 1994
Try a Jackson happy seat. (not sweet cheeks- the bag that inflates under knees) I had same problem and that was the only fix that worked for me.
Old 07-28-2012   #10
swimming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfwarrior View Post
Try a Jackson happy seat. (not sweet cheeks- the bag that inflates under knees) I had same problem and that was the only fix that worked for me.
CKS says the happy seat is the bag that goes under your knees, is that what you're talking about?

Happy Seat - Jackson Kayak

Or the sweet cheeks seat?

Sweet Cheeks 200 - Jackson Kayak

I ended up putting 1/2" of foam under the connect 30 seat. (there's two screw/rivets at the rear that allow you to fold the seat forward). If that doesn't help monday/tuesday I'll try the jackson outfitting. Pretty psyched on how the boat feels now.

I also ended up adding 3/4" of foam under my heels, and 1/2" under my knees and it feels awesome... locked in but still really comfortable. The only thing I'm thinking I might have to do is make some new holes to raise the hip pads up another 1/2". I feel like there's a ton of foam in the boat now but it's finally comfortable and snug.