Outback Sport Stock Roof Rack - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-21-2008   #1

Outback Sport Stock Roof Rack

The stock Outback Sport roof rack and crossbars say its good for a 100lbs, which is way less than my play boat. Just wondering if anybody has used there's for a kayak. Seems like everyone I remember seeing had Yakima or Thule's mounted right next to the stockers.

mescalimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2008   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
I am sure you can put more on as the rating is many times less then the actual allowable load, think 'engineering factor of safety. Plus add in attorney limits of liability and you get the drift. Basically the manufacture just does not want to be liable for fat tubby climbing up there and crashing through the sunroof and trying to sue saying there were no warnings!

When I had my Outback I took the stock flat cross bars off and put a Yakima rack on instead. It worked out great as I was able to transfer the rack to our A6 Avant when I upgraded the suby. I have a Yakima rack on my truck to, and even through it is only rated at 200 lbs, I have carried 1000 lbs of lumber on the rack for over 30 miles. I just took it easy to not throw the weight around corners and the rack did just fine.
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #3
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
In my experience the thing to worry about with any rack is not the weight on it, but the upward pull that can come from wind. I had a "professionally" installed yakima snowboard rack blow right off the car on I-76 during Denver rush hour once... we had to play Death Frogger to get the pieces off the road!

Whatever kind of rack you have, check it everytime you use it. You should be able to rock the car pretty good using the rack with no wiggle.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2008   #4
gh

pnw, Colorado
I had a wrx wagon and the roof rack was the same as yours. 3 boats at 85 mph, never had an issue.
Old 05-21-2008   #5

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
I had a "professionally" installed yakima snowboard rack blow right off the car on I-76 during Denver rush hour once... we had to play Death Frogger to get the pieces off the road!
Well you see what the problem was? The snow gods were taking retribution for snowboarding!"TYPE=PICT;ALT=0" So who scored the lady frog?

That is why I do the installation myself. I have installed the plusnut system on two of my cars to make the rack bomber. And if any one is going to drill holes in the roof of my vehicles, it is going to be me! No sense letting some by the hour employee, with no vested interest in how it comes out doing the job. The plus nut racks you could pull on the rack and practically flip the car they were so strong.
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote