OT: Winter backpacking trips? - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-23-2008   #1

Johnson City, Tennessee
Paddling Since: 1998
OT: Winter backpacking trips?

Hey all, I was wondering if you could guide me to winter backpacking sites or give reccomendations of where to go. I am thinking maybe Yosemite, Canyonlands, or the Grand Canyon. I am looking for foot travel with no skis involved. Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Russell

Russell Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2008   #2
River Gypsy

Swannanoa, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Marcus View Post
Hey all, I was wondering if you could guide me to winter backpacking sites or give reccomendations of where to go. I am thinking maybe Yosemite, Canyonlands, or the Grand Canyon. I am looking for foot travel with no skis involved. Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Russell
It depends what month you want. If you're talking about January or February the Grand Canyon and Yosemite are pretty cold, as is most of the high desert in Utah. You could hike there, but you could wind up in the snow. I'd look at Big Bend National Park in Texas, or other southern areas with low elevation. We backpack down here in the Southeast in winter - you can usually miss the snow and just have to deal with some cold.

Leland
Leland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008   #3

Fort Collins, Colorado
I went to the GC over turkey day last year. The weather was great...it was not too cold. Too many people thought but if that is what you ike
teleboater5.13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2008   #4

Salida, Colorado
Yosemite in January is awesome. But like Leland stated in can and well get cold so if thats not yor thing Big Bend is a great option or something in New Mexico...sounds like you need to figure out your tolerance for these winter months and go from there....
tress33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008   #5

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Big Bend can be very nice in the winter... unless there's a "blue norther" blowing in.

The Chisos Mountains are very pretty, but the backpacking is limited. I've just done dayhikes there.
DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008   #6

Roanoke, Virginia
Paddling Since: 1996
Southern Utah

I would recommend the Capitol Reef National Park area. Lived down there one winter working in the BLM area just east of the park, living in the field 1 wk at a time. Days mild, nights cold but doable. The area is very remote and there is a good chance that you don't see any others your entire trip. If you choose any part of the Utah desert area you should read some Abby prior to your trip.
swvagaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008   #7
Spits Hot Fire

N. Cascades, Washington
The Owl and Fish Canyon Loop in the Cedar Mesa area of Utard is very cool. You shouldnt be disappointed. Lots of other goods nearby, and i think it's got like the highest concentration of ol indian ruins and stuff. And like Leland said it's High desert and will get cold.
Old 10-24-2008   #8

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Winter in the desert is amazing...
We're going into The Maze in Canyonlands for turkey day this year. Last year we were on Cat for Thanksgiving and definitely got snowed on.

I've done mid-winter backpacks in the desert before, and it's great wherever you go, you just need to be ok with getting snowed on. The biggest threat, is that snow will be covering your access in and out of canyons, and that you might have to delay your exit, or find another way out. I was in Fish Canyon on Cedar Mesa on New Year's day a few years ago, and we were climbing out the south side of the canyon, and it was covered in snow. it was interesting to say the least, but we made it slowly and carefully. We were carrying juniper boughs to sweep away snow in front of us on sloping slickrock. But down in the bottom of the canyon it was dry and pleasant.
CanyonEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008   #9

Johnson City, Tennessee
Paddling Since: 1998
Let me rephrase. I do not mind the cold. I just do not have the gear for skiing or snowshoes. I am fine backpacking in snow as long as I can hike in it. So again would Yosemite work for this?

thanks
Russell Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008   #10

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Yosemite valley could be fine... but the backpacking is in the high country ABOVE the valley. In a word, NO. You would need snowshoes or skis... unless it's a hideous drought winter.
DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote