Oregon Rivers - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-05-2003   #1

Marine Biologist
Oregon Rivers

I am in Eugene today and am renting a raft for tommorow. Unfortunately, we have to get a late start due to the time we are allowed to rent the gear. What are some good short class 4 sections of river in a 3 or fewer hour driving range from Eugene? Also, I know the rivers aren't yet in full swing, but any Beta would be helpful on runs that are currently flowing. SYOTR

|(@(@)""""""""**|(@)(@)***|(@)
will raft 4 beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2003   #2

Eagle, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to matts Send a message via MSN to matts Send a message via Yahoo to matts Send a message via Skype™ to matts
call kokopelli kayak - matt dopp - and talk to him...i don't have his number on me, but try the website: kokopellikayak.com
matts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003   #3
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
you bastard! guess that means i am gonna have to run some icy ass shit to keep on top of you. let me know what goes off up there and i'll make the voyage to run your sister and some rivers sometime when you are not there, biatch!
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2003   #4

Oregon Rivers

Hey dude...The McKenzie River is a safe bet within proximity of Eugene. It offers some nice, mellow class II-III water. Bonus...there are some hotsprings located river north, right next to the river. I'm sure they would be inviting this time of year. Check a local shop or book for more beta. Enjoy....oh yeah, check out the N. Fork of the Umpqua too.
Old 11-07-2003   #5

Marine Biologist
Shiat!

Well, we ran the North Fork of the Santiam, a 7 mile stretch between Big Cliff Dam and PackSaddle park, with a solid class four and what is called a class five. The first rapid, the Narrows (original name, eh?) was a river wide hydraulic haystack wave, folloed by a lateral wave formed by a gnarly eddie fence and some wicked hydraulics, forming some recirc necessitating a large punch. Below this was another diagonal hole, river wide, with another lateral recirc wave. Below, on river left, the current slammed into a rock face before heading right, into a calm pool. Niagara, the so called V, began with a bit of III boogy water leading into a 5 ft wide slot, demanding a lowside to stand the raft up on its side to enter. The river entered sheer rock walls and veered right, demonstrating some weird and unique hydraulic boils forming a crease at the center that would have sucked a tube if faced incorrectly. The intensity of the boils and the narrow winding of the river may have caused the delusion of naming this drop a five, but it certainly was one of the most remarkable stretches of water I've ever seen. Definitely not a V except for the undercut walls on all sides. In the remaining runnout, the river entered a forever eddie, then broke into two channels, both of which were class iii+/iv maneuvers through holes.
After our first successful run of the stretch, we decided to try our luck with the setting sun and do it again. We did not stop to scout the Narrows, lined up correctly, and failed to punch the haystack with enough momentum to clear us from the lateral breaker below. The hole stood us on end and rolled us back upstream. I was sucked under the raft for the second drop and recirculated in the pile for a bit longer than I was comfortable with, bobbing up under the raft, then bashing against the wall on river left, which thankfully was not undercut. Jason ended up on the downstream side of the raft before it bounced the wall, and was able to use the wall to launch himself on top of the raft. We had two spare paddles, and flipped the raft and continued downstream in hopes of rescuing the other two rental paddles. We finished the rest of the run and drove back upstream to the narrows, locating the two lost paddles in obscure dugout nooks in the rock faces in the runnout to the rapid. The river was absolutely gorgeous (as a CO boater I am not used to rainforest greenery and moss covered granite walls), and it was a great day for a first flip .
|(@(@)""""""""**|(@)(@)***|(@)
will raft 4 beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003   #6
gh

pnw, Colorado
Very cool, thanks for the update.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003   #7
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
ahhh! now i see the reason it took so long for you to flip. all you needed was to run some real shit without me in the boat. guess i can only make you look so good if i'm there, just couldnt justify the drive. the crease between the two boils sounds just like the crease in rapid 220 on the grand where you can endo duckies and run it time after time. how was the weather and water temp? i am jealous as hell, sounds like an awesome place. are you guys runnin something else today or did you have enough?
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote