Opinion on Colorado White Water Trip - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-25-2010   #1

Opinion on Colorado White Water Trip

Hi Guys,

I'm planning a trip out west (from Philly) to Colorado for the weekend with a group of friends and would appreciate any advice. We have some experience doing II (yeah nothing crazy) around the PA area and want to plan a much more adventurous trip. I found AVA colorado rafting and would like to know what anyone thinks about booking the Gauntlet on the Arkansas river 5/29. We want a adventure but dont want to kill ourself s. Were all in our mid 20's, and pretty good shape. Will we be completely overwhelmed in doing a 5 hour trip IV-V down the river? How is AVA as a white water rafting company?

Much Thanks,
Rex

rex99x is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2010   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Highly recommended! Great guides, fun, exciting trip. You'll have a blast.
xena13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010   #3

Thanks Xena, we want the adrenaline rush, and like to think of ourselves in good shape...only 5% doubt in keeping safety in mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2010   #4

The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
Statistically your more likely to get hurt driving to the airport then getting hurt on ANY guided trip. Being in your 20's and in shape, assuming you are not drinking and you are wearing a PFD, also means you are statistically not in the group of people that die on the river. The commercials take good care of their customers and realistically the only thing you should be worried about is a sunburn. So if I where you I would suggest you find the MOST exciting trip you can find and not worry about the dangers.

That being said... Shit happens.

Have fun!
Old 02-25-2010   #5

surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
Rex,

After you've done the rafting trip, you should also look into doing Duckie trips with Rocky Mtn Outdoor Center (www.RMOC.com) and enjoy things on a more individual and enjoyable level here on our many great sections of river. The Ark offers quite a varity and RMOC is an instruction and guide center that can truly enable your vacation experience. Being in your 20s, I think you should not pass it up.

Enjoy!

Ken
Old 02-25-2010   #6

Thanks so much for the feedback, this is great stuff! I wish I had more time to plan then a weekend, and am sure i'll be back.
Old 02-25-2010   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex99x View Post
Hi Guys,

I'm planning a trip out west (from Philly) to Colorado for the weekend with a group of friends and would appreciate any advice. We have some experience doing II (yeah nothing crazy) around the PA area and want to plan a much more adventurous trip. I found AVA colorado rafting and would like to know what anyone thinks about booking the Gauntlet on the Arkansas river 5/29. We want a adventure but dont want to kill ourself s. Were all in our mid 20's, and pretty good shape. Will we be completely overwhelmed in doing a 5 hour trip IV-V down the river? How is AVA as a white water rafting company?

Much Thanks,
Rex
Been boating on the Arkansas for 20+ years and I have no idea where the "Gauntlet" is. Do I need a new map???
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010   #8

Guide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Been boating on the Arkansas for 20+ years and I have no idea where the "Gauntlet" is. Do I need a new map???

I also have never heard of the "Gauntlet", if you get a new map Rich, send me one.......
Old 02-25-2010   #9
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Quote:
Sweet, I've been waiting forever to use this:
Let me google that for you

I agree, you guys will probably be fine. But, full disclosure is that Pine Creek that time of year could be cranking. If it's too high they won't run it, but even at levels they run it, it has the potential for a serious swim. I think a couple years ago there were a few commercial raft deaths on that section. Usually it involves older people, but can't remember all the specifics. If it were me, I would want to make sure I was comfortable around water and a reasonably good swimmer though.

In terms of the run being too long for you handle I wouldn't worry about it. The most serious section is in the first 1/2 of the stretch. Most likely you will have a great time.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010   #10

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:

I was wondering the same thing, but according to their site it is a Pine Creek/Numbers combo. Might have to use their terminology from now on when I run that, sounds much cooler

*******Ahhh googled too slow and KSC beat me to it
kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote