Open spots for Middle Fork, launch date 5/14 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 05-10-2005   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Open spots for Middle Fork, launch date 5/14

We just had someone drop out. We are down to 10 people with 4 rafts and 7-8 kayaks.

Right now we have 7 guys and 3 ladies. Helping the balance would be a plus, but not mandatory.

Likely candidates should be ready for any weather conditions without whining.

PM me if you are interested or need more details.

We will take out Saturday the 21st.

Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2005   #2

Are you flying in to indian creek? Boundary and marsh creek are still snowed in and closed. Running at 4' though!
mcandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
We will launch on Marsh Ck where it crosses the Highway. I've never heard of that being closed. Do you know something we don't?

Depending on the level this adds 20 miles of class 4 minus creeking as well as dagger falls.

Lots of fun. 8 days 7 nights, 120 river miles. No assigned camps. Light traffic. 4-5 good hotsprings. At least 1 if not 2 layover days. Probably hike up and run Loon Creek. Good food, great folks. If you only like to hang around with sober people, this trip may not be for you.
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2005   #4

Hmmmm. 10 people with 4 rafts and 7-8 kayaks. The math doesn't seem right. Is someone paddling/rowing two vessles? You guys must be good.
stiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005   #5

Salida, Colorado
Simple

it's so simple...most citizens of the People's Republic use new math!
Old 05-11-2005   #6
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
with the experience we have we are just going to ghost ride one of the rafts and herd it along. if i dont start feeling a little better we may be ghost riding 2. i'll just strap my ass to the paco, take a couple vicodin, have a sfatey meeting and let the ol' river have her way. (as if she doesnt when i'm holding oars)

on a serious note, anyone heard of the creek that comes in on the otherside . the guy at down river told me it is better than marsh for rafts. just real fast flat with a couple nice hotsprings. the only map i have starts at dagger.
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005   #7

Biologist
Guys you are killing me! I wanna go!! Instead of going down the MF with you, I'll be at my desk anaylyzing fish data for the Middle Fork. So sad! Upshot is that I am trying to figure out how to get on one of the work trips down the MF or Selway. Have a great time and give me a holler if you need anything - Boise's not too far from the putin.

Zach it's Bear Valley Creek that joins with Marsh Cr to form the MF. http://www.americanwhitewater.org/rivers/id/516/ ... though not much info there. Maybe theres more info in the Idaho Whitewater Book. Give me a call if you want me to look in mine tonight 9413507650. Or try a post on kayakidaho.com

(ps, bring lots of warm clothes, it's been rainy and cool here and supposed to continue next week). And Zach, go easy on the mustard this time.
claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005   #8
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
you mean peanut butter?? dont remember any mustard issues. you thought you had it bad. we got a non egg eater on this one.

thanks

i'll give a call.

z

ps disapointed to see you gave up mountainbuns..... the name anyway.
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005   #9

Hey DAve, I am sure you will be scouting dagger regardless, but there are reports of very large new "log" in there. Have fun. I go 6/14 and cant wait to get back there!

PS you are also aware of the 6 day limit (that is new)...I dont believe it includes stuff above boundary, but it does apply to everything from there down!

PPS also looks like you might get the peak!
mcandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005   #10
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Trip lengths

During the control season only May 28 to September 3rd there are restrictions based on group size.
21-30 = 6 days
11-20 = 7 days
1-10 = 8 days

If you have two different permit holders you could take six days to get to Indian on one permit and then take 6 days to do the bottom theoretically if the permit gods blessed you.
Jerry
carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote