One of my all time Favs.... Lake Creek! - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-17-2008   #1

Durango/BV, Colorado
One of my all time Favs.... Lake Creek!

This creek is the shit, it will run all summer. At high flows the goods will be from the diversion tunnel( thank you roaring fork) all the way down to above brains, it has a high fun factor. At lower flows the lower big four start going. If you have never run this creek I am sure Rednek would gladly show you the way down, and i hope you pre scouted, cause he aint. I think B.Jones has the record number of decents at around 30. See ya out there!! Here is cauldron @lower flow.

ND out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cauldron.JPG
Views:	463
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	336  

kayakerkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2008   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
nice pic, nd. that creek is demshitz. are you coming back to BV this summer?
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008   #3

The next zone, .
Gotta love anyone who throws up a pic of the caldron for their 1st post.

So with the warm temps did anything in the real d-town start runnin?

Here are a couple more of Lake from this summer and Kev might just be in a few..

The put in when it is over 800 cfs or so.. This is the tunnel and rapid at the source..

And the upper section..

Snow on the upper section is there until Aug!

NIMBY is the first big one after Toumbstone.. Last year a log cut out about half of this rapid but the bottom half with the boof is so fun!

Kinda fuzzy but shows the drop.

Kev how does this one look?

And when you get to the blue chair.. Get ready for the bottom or BIG 4.. More pics of the big 4 to follow..

Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2008   #4

The next zone, .
Kev,

Upload your pics to photobucket.com

Then copy the img code into the post and then you get big pics ..

The first of the big four is a Brains a double boof usually run far river right..

Here are a couple of pics of Brains..

And at high water..

Old 02-19-2008   #5

The next zone, .
I had to get in one shot of me..

After Brains is the paralyzer I will post some pics from last summer when I get the chance..
Old 02-19-2008   #6

The next zone, .
A few hundred yards below brains is the paralyzer.. IMO the best most enjoyable rapid on this run. The easy way out or high water line is down the right and the left line is the meat of the rapid. Here are a couple of shots of both lines.

If you know Dre you know he will boof on your head!

This is the first drop on the right line at about 450 cfs.

A late evening left run at 350 or so..

And Jason with a Low water left line..

Demshitz Finney gettin it done at 700 or so!

Here is a shot of 1500 cfs.. IMO the best level for a rarely run "middle line".

My last shot of the paralyzer.. Jones at high water..

Old 02-19-2008   #7

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
A few hundred yards below brains is the paralyzer.. IMO the best most enjoyable rapid on this run.
"enjoyable"??? Yeah that is just the word I think of when I think of the Paralyzer. Enjoyable. Fun afterwords when you are talking shit in the Rope? Sure. Enjoyable...not so much.

Thanks for the pics. Lake Creek is an incredible stream which for some reason seems to get less attention. I am stoked to get some runs up there this year, although the thought of Lake at high flows for two months gives me a feeling in my nuts that is not enjoyable.

By the way I doubt highly that anyone has more runs on this monster than Scott Young and the Euro Kayaks boys back in the early 90's. Euro Kayaks used to be based in Twin Lakes and those guys were lapping Lake Creek all the time in the Cyphur.
Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008   #8

I'd agree that the Euro kayaks guys had a lot of runs. I'm positive that Billy has run LC way more than 30 times. I think I ran it over 20 times in a single season, and Billy was there for a number of those trips.

So good...
Old 02-19-2008   #9

The next zone, .
I think that kayakerkev is talking about a one year total that rumor and legend has it is somewhere about give or take 30 full runs.. Nimby down.. Park and huck missions below 300 need not apply..

We all know that Billy likes 2 or 3 runs in a day even if the last lap or 2 are solo.. Last year he went up for a solo lap of the big 4 when it was runnin about 700.. I pissed myself and took out on lap one at the paralyzer..

If you look all the days she is over 1200 or so and the days it is under 300 should not or don't count anyway.. 30 or so days would be almost every reasonable runable day for the past 6-8 seasons.. But with the water that we have this year who knows..

That euro kayak crew included Zack didn't it.. Zach has to have as many total runs down lake as anyone..

Also I am posting pics top to bottom of this creek.. Kiss me and the Caldron are still to come..
Old 02-19-2008   #10

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Harvey, you see, that is the difference between BV and Salida kayakers. BV kayakers think that the paralyzer is enjoyable while the Salider folks think it is a terrifying rapid.

Billy J is a jedi master on this creek. I'll never forget the day when it was flowing big and I wanted to get out before the Brains. Billy gives me a calm look and says, "Its cool man, you got it. Just run it man." I listened to him until I caught the last eddy on the left before the Brains. I took a look over my shoulder at the drop and said, "F... that, I'm out!" Cutch was in the same eddy and looked at me with a serious look of focus in his eye and said, "Alright then move, I gotta do this." They both cleaned it, I'm guessing Billy did it with a smile, and I'm not sure if Cutch was smiling while running it, but he sure was smiling afterwards.

I'm looking forward to spring...
marko is offline   Reply With Quote