one hell of a day at the punchbowls. - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-20-2006   #1

student wasted state, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Send a message via AIM to vaultman14
one hell of a day at the punchbowls.

the day started off with andy and i hitchhikeing to go to the punchbowls from gunnison, a random guy walks up to use and i sell him my wave sport Z, we get picked up by this guy and he throws our boats in the truck and we are on our way to CB. we get there our ride ganks on us but we have another but hes up on the mountain cause he is a lifty up there and he said we could use his truck. so i go on the free shuttle get there get the truck and head back to CB for andy, pick him up and we are on our way finally, past the east and gothic over schofield and we get to the non maintained part start to go in and we look to our right theres a waterfall we said sweet lets check it out, turns out to be a 10ft drop from an old mining sluice and then a 15 foot falls right after it, it was amazing. then i drop my camera in the river, there goes the digital, F**K. we run it twice and it was amzing found out later it was part of the east fork of the south fork of the crystal, fun little drops, but we are going to the punchbowls so we head on over there, the top of schofield and the section to the punchbowls is nar nar holy shit steep but we made it down to the bottom and we hop out to scout the drops, amazing, beautiful waterfall 30-40 ft somthing in that range into an aweome pool then into a sweet sliding waterfalll to 15ft vert drop amazing (look it up on AW for the pictures south fork of the crystal) we run the drops twice with 20 atv riders around telling us we are crazy and can't believe we are doing this when there about to drive up the nar nar that we just drove down.so instead of going up that section when we were leaving we were going to take the "easy way" well it was alot easier then the stuff earlier until boom flat tire on a flat section of the road, so we get out look at the damage and then get the spare out, the spare is locked to the truck and we have no key, cap of one of the lug nuts came off and the hood won't open for us to get the jack out, GREAT so we rip through the cable some how with pliars and a baseball bat, some how the hood opens randomly and get out the spare and realize that it is half full and we start going about 10 mins later pinched it and its flat again. we can't pull it over and get it off the road so i have to drive on the rim, talk about scary seeings how the river is 200 ft' down this scree slope and i have no tire, but we finally park it and start to hike an outward buond crew gives us a ride to marble, beaver lodge in marble gives us a phone and we get a ride from andy's dad, we head to the fire station to wait and get a ride, some nice folks from marble gave us some food and the ride arrived and we are headed home. 12:30 am we are back in gunny after 2 flat tires and some awesome day of paddleing, i would say it was worth it, im just going to hike from the top down instead of driving the whole thing.
but it was fun and worth it just a pain in the ass. well see ya later

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2006   #2
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
damn josh, sounds like you and zerg got into it! sucks about the camera, glad you guys still considered it good day of paddling after all that!
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006   #3
&d

gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
pff.. ow, i cant believe i slept in till 8:30 this morning. i wonder if i still have the same job. i am not looking forward to this car extraction mission..

anyone reading this going to be at the NF crystal or crystal gorge today? this whole trip will be alot easier on me if someones out there to show me the lines hehe.
&d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2006   #4

it looks like another long day for both of us
Old 07-20-2006   #5

Thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Dude - use a period every now and then!

B.C.
rockinRio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006   #6

we are going to the crystal gorge on saturday if anyone wants to come it would be sweet, and if anyone is going up that way and don't mind giving us a ride with a new tire we just got that would be sweet call me on my cell at 303 907 3124
Old 07-20-2006   #7

legend
how is the drive over the pass from CB. never gone that way.
N. Wigston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006   #8

its pretty narly but do able we are stuck on the marble side after all of the hard stuff so we did it in a pickup truck and had no troubles going down we just didn't want to go up cause it was starting to rain and figured we could just go around over kebler to CB.
Old 07-20-2006   #9
&d

gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
there is alot less "bad road" on the cb side. its an easy 12 miles or so to the top of the s. crystal where the punchbowls are. the schofield crux portion starts here is about a half mile long on a scree field above a pretty good drop into the river. the road is pretty steep but rolling over backwards is never really a risk. the big risk here in a high clearance vehicle (30" tires or so) is bad traction, where football sized rocks will jump out from under your tires, possibly initiating a sideways slide of the front or back of your vehicle off the road. the rocks are sharp and loose to boot.

basically,
if you have ever been to the bridge where you can see the waterfalls of the punchbowls, then you can see the rest of the bad road too, at the top of that climb you cross the river and it becomes an easy drive that can be done in practically any vehicle
&d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006   #10

I once tried to schofield in a dodge caravan, after some beautiful chica in cb told me it was a good road. Came very close to wearing the car IN punchbowl falls. DOable but barely. High clearance is really the issue. The kayaking is safer than the driving I think.
kozmonot is offline   Reply With Quote