old town kayak down a class IV? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-24-2010   #1

manhattan, Kansas
old town kayak down a class IV?

I understand there are playboats, river runners, creekboats but what would a old town rush kayak be? (river runner)?? I will be running class III rivers in colorado and wyoming mostly, but the occasional class IV rapid will be there too (wont be going on real large rivers but something like the North Platte river for example or maybe smaller). I considered this boat because I plan on camping and some of the other sport boats don't always have a lot of room for storing things for a couple of days.

reelfisher10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2010   #2

manhattan, Kansas
Or what is a recommended kayak (or type) to camp with and do class IV rapids?? (Assuming medium sized river)
Old 05-24-2010   #3

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
The Rush is a flat water kayak. Its an inappropriate boat for any whitewater. What is your experience on moving water?
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2010   #4

kayaker
Check out the Remix XP by Liquidlogic. Made to kayak camp. The guys are using this boat for 12 day self support down the grand canyon. Also check out campingbykayak.com

Old Town Kayaks just aren't made for difficult water. It would really be unsafe.

here are some links.
Liquid Logic Kayaks
www.campingbykayak.com

Hope this helps, you can also give us a call at Alpine Quest Sports and we'll explain everything you need 970-926-3867
ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010   #5

Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I used to take an old town 17" royalex boat down class 2-3 rivers. I swamped and swam too many times to recommend it on class 4 rivers. I do not lack for ability as a solid class V boater, it is just that the boat was not up to the challenge. It would keep taking on water until it became unmanageable. I am not familiar with the Rush, but from Phil's description it sounds inappropriate for class 4 water.
ZGjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010   #6

manhattan, Kansas
i went down the gunnision gorge in a cheap raft with some friends onetime and i fell into some nice rapids onetime while i was fishing from shore lol. i dont have a lot of experience so i am not really wanting any crazy creekboat. would a basic 70gal volume river runner be able to hold a sleeping bag?
Old 05-25-2010   #7

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Ok...so this kind of got my attention: i went down the gunnision gorge in a cheap raft with some friends onetime and i fell into some nice rapids onetime while i was fishing from shore lol. i dont have a lot of experience so i am not really wanting any crazy creekboat. would a basic 70gal volume river runner be able to hold a sleeping bag?

So...have you considered just sticking with lakes?

Just sayin'.
NolsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010   #8
-k-

Denver via GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
A used Dagger Mamba may be a good option.
Old 05-25-2010   #9

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I used to be the Old Town rep, the rush and any other boat from Old Town are all designed for flat water paddling. They do not have the structure to withstand any broaching and there is zero outfitting in the boat for you to be able to control it.

I also second Nolsguy on this, your experience level does not sound like it is up to paddling class iv yet. I recommend to take a step back, get in a roll class and start out on some class I and II.
stinginrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010   #10

manhattan, Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NolsGuy View Post
Ok...so this kind of got my attention: i went down the gunnision gorge in a cheap raft with some friends onetime and i fell into some nice rapids onetime while i was fishing from shore lol. i dont have a lot of experience so i am not really wanting any crazy creekboat. would a basic 70gal volume river runner be able to hold a sleeping bag?

So...have you considered just sticking with lakes?

Just sayin'.
Lakes get boring after awhile. Class I and II? Really? I am not trying to sound like a hard ass but if you cant kayak or boat down class I or II rapids then you have a lot of learning to do. I am not a professional but I am not completely retarded. I went down the gunnision gorge when it was flowing a little over 3000cfs so there were some decent class III+ rapids. Yes I know that is crazy ridiculous as I am going down these waves I look over and see a 14yr old kid in a raft with his family.

Tags
class iv, kayaking