Old Forge - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-20-2007   #1

Old Forge

Anybody ever done gone kayaking in Old Forge, New York?
Boy I'll tell ya what.... that's where I sure go.

Kripthaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2007   #2

Always wanted to. What time of year is best?

COUNT
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007   #3

Spring and early summer are the best. Did you check out the video from Moose River in Old Forge? It was shot with a helmet cam in the spring time.

JonesCAM New York Partners - Helmet Camera, Lipstick Camera, Professional Cameras and Ruggedized Digital Video Recorder (DVR) for Action Sports.

Where are you from?
Kripthaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2007   #4

From Summit, CO. Can't check out the vid now because I'm at work, but I will as soon as I get home.

COUNT
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007   #5

Steamboat/Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Bottom Moose is wicked fun in the fall. October. A definate must if you ever plan an Ottowa trip. Be prepared to be snowed on though.
ripdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007   #6

Local, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to paddlebizzle
This post is ironic. My wife told me last night about Big Moose Creek (??). We're heading to Old Forge at the end of July to visit her family.

She says it is definitely class V, but since she's never been in a boat, so who knows. . . Any beta, and places to rent gear?

PB
paddlebizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007   #7

Old Forge

I learned to boat up there in central NY. Its just awesome. There are a number of spectacular runs in the area. Some of my favorites are Bottom Moose, Fish Creek, the Raquette, the Grass (Twin Falls) and the Oswegatchie. American whitewater has good content on NY rivers check it out:
American Whitewater - NY State Rivers

as for the forum to find people to boat with check out:
www.npmb.com

The great part about fall is they lower the reservoir water levels to their winter levels and release the water for boaters on the weekends. So your always have water and if you show up to a release there are always 50 people to boat with. Also and maybe my favorite part is you can run some crazy ass shit b/c lots of drops end in a huge pool...f up and you end up in a lake. I really can't say enough good stuff about NY boating! If you get the chance go to moosefest is one hell of a good time!
pcrawford is offline   Reply With Quote