okc riversport or national white water center - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 11-08-2018   #1

okc riversport or national white water center

so which white water park is better okc river sport or national white water center cause saw that the north carolina one looked longer and realistic.

Gamer242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2018   #2

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
I have paddled at both of them and liked the USNWC in Charlotte better. More features, longer, and more variety. The OKC Park has 2 channels but they're super similar in character.
stoutwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Adventure Sports Center International

ASCI is the best in the US because while recirculating ww parks are a blast you'll ultimately want to get some real river time....ASCI is 10 mins from the top and upper yough, 30 mins to the cheat and big sandy or the other way up to ohiopyle or mellow yough or casselman runs. The amount and variety of boating in Western Maryland rivals anywhere else in the world.
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2018   #4

so I guess there's only three of these, I know that there's lots of little river parks like rio vista in san marcos, and kelly's white water park in idaho where they are instead of a schlitterbahn type thing where you go in a circuit you walk up, but are there anymore like USNWC, okc riversport and this one in maryland that I don't know about. I'm sure there's more in planning or development, I bet the next one is in austin texas and add it on to that surfing wave pool inland surfing it's called. I heard they where planning one in lawrence kansas but I think it stalled or cancelled. Do they allow riverboards at ASCI? USNWC does allow them, but okc riversport doesn't at least not yet. they said maybe when the sport becomes more popular, I know they've had riverboarding in the us, but I think a new type of riverboarding maybe becoming a thing in the us called hydrospeed it's not like a riverboard like the kerns or carlson, it's basically they cut out the front of a kayak and turn it into a bodyboard that's basically what hydrospeed is it's kayaking on your stomach instead of basically a river boogie board like the kern and carlson I tried a rental one in okc riversport It was a lot of fun, you can take lessons on one and try it out but you can't bring your own yet.
Gamer242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018   #5

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
https://youtu.be/550leWXDJYE

Yes you can riverboard @ asci...just dont get between a raft and a hard place. They spent about 20 mil on building ASCI...that a lot of asses in rafts to pay that back. Its also very expensive to run the huge pumps that power the course. The course @ ASCI is unique in America for its waveshapers. Instead of big lego blocks to change the flow of water, they use a series of plates that sit on big air bags under the big drops. That can dam up the water above drops, change the wave pile for surfing, even create dangerous holes for rescue training...all of this is done with the water flowing in real time.
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018   #6

Reynoldsburg, Ohio
Paddling Since: 1980
ASCI

They held the 2014 World Canoe Slaloms at Asci in Maryland . They did for a reason . Both the site in NC and MD are fun places but as mentioned more variety of natural whitewater close to ASCI and with the upper yough and Lower yough there are reliable dam releases for guaranteed flows and the Cheat has a long season .
jspence01 is offline   Reply With Quote