Ok... More shoulder advice - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-08-2007   #1
ITS GONNA BE BIG!!!!

DIllon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Ok... More shoulder advice

So... Im 4 months out of a "bank hart" repair. I feel good my range of motion is full. I have done ALL of my PT and will continue to do so. When is it safe to get in my Sea Kayak or go to a pool and roll my Fun(not on the hurt side)? My PT says not till next season Is this true? If I truly should wait I will, but I dont feel like a light lake trip would hurt. Any advice!!

Advertisement

Old 10-09-2007   #2

saratoga, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1980
WAIT

Hey shady,

Just my two cents. Wait. I realize if I was in your shoes I'd want to get back in but wait till spring. Nothing is worse than screwing it up again. Then it'll be even longer.
rmpeddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007   #3

albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2
I had the same surgery 3 years ago, injured it rock climbing. I took up paddling this year and it does not seem to be bothered by it.

Make sure you do your PT and stretch it well, have the PT guy show you the "sleeper stretch" so you get the full 100% ROM back. I was back climbing in 6 months but it took me another year to get full ROM back because I slacked on the stretching. I do my PT exercises as part of my regular workout. I climb 2-3 days and week paddle almost every weekend no problems with shoulder now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmpeddie View Post
Hey shady,

Just my two cents. Wait. I realize if I was in your shoes I'd want to get back in but wait till spring. Nothing is worse than screwing it up again. Then it'll be even longer.
eurotrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2007   #4

Bozeman, Montana
Correct technique can help your shoulder rebuild. correct technique is paddling with the core lots of body rotation instead of as much arm movement even with your roll you can do a majority of it with body rotation.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007   #5

Palisade, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
hey shady, I'm in the same boat you are (haha, no pun intended). I got a slap repair last May and have been allowed to boat for the last two weeks. My recommendation if you REALLY have to paddle is to get on something mellow that you know you're not going to flip on. If you DO flip, just swim. Rolling is bad news for shoulder surgery. Giving your shoulder those extra few months of rest will only decrease the chance of you reinjuring it.

Besides, do you really want to risk ruining next season because you were rolling IN A POOL?
Gtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007   #6
addict

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtwo View Post
If you DO flip, just swim.
FUCK THAT
tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007   #7

castle rock
Send a message via AIM to liam dunn
i had arthoscopic in january and after the 3 months was up i looped in a pool and it dislocated again. now i'm recovering from bankhart repair and yes, it sucks, but waiting is the best thing to do. sucks, but waiting is best
liam dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007   #8

saratoga, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1980
WHAT???

Quote:
Originally Posted by tango View Post
FUCK THAT
C'mon Tango... you must not have any shoulder injuries. There is nothing worse then kicking out several grand for repairs only to screw it up again doing something you shouldn't be doing. Sometimes your pride and desires need to take a back seat to common sense. I'm using "your" generically and don't mean you exclusively Tango.

Shady... even a wet exit can screw things up. I've popped mine out several times swimming. I thought I'd take up surfing since I can't really paddle anymore but everytime I take my last stroke and stand up it pops out and I have to put it back in while on the board. Needless to say I stopped surfing.

This summer I bought a one man pontoon for a few hundred bucks (7 foot tubes) and am able to get out there and have some fun. I think the oars helps strengthen but moderation is the key. I guide over 200 days averaging over 20 miles a day and really have no problems rowing... but they do get tired.

Patience.
rmpeddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007   #9

Johnson City, Tennessee
Paddling Since: 1998
What does your doc say?

What does your doc say? No offense to your Pt but the doc probably should have an input also. I had both of mine done several years ago and are fine now. Both times I was told i could get back in at 4 months. I know your case might be different from what I had. It takes time to get your roll back but it will be safer practice in the pool during the winter rather than spring in the river. Practice good technique. My offside was the first to dislocate and I dont use it as much as my onside because I didnt practice as much. You can roll without bringing your shoulder to 90 degrees with more body rotation.

Russell
Russell Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007   #10
ITS GONNA BE BIG!!!!

DIllon, Colorado
Thats what I was thinking roll in a pool get back my confidence and paddle 3+ in the spring. I hope!! I see my Dr. next week and fighre Ill wait till Late Jan early Feb and than get in a pool. Thanks for all the advice!