Oh-be-painful - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-05-2006   #1

Oh-be-painful

Yesterday afternoon I ran Oh-be with a Jason from Boulder and got served with the most pain I've ever got from kayaking. We put in above the eight footer to slide and that was all good. Then it was time for the 25 footer. Jason went first and had a good drop. Then I went, and despite driving left, I went further right than I should have. After plunging through the water a few feet I took a blow in my right ass cheek that reverberated throughout my whole body. I immediately thought my back was gonna be broken. After a few minutes I figured it was ''O.K.'', just hurtin hard, and then the rib pain kicked in. Coughing, sneezing and laughing all suck. Hiked out. Vicodin. Probably will be hurtin for weeks. After misplacing my sprayskirt I had used my older leakier one. Maybe the weight of water in my boat made me go deeper. Maybe the high flow made me go deeper. In any case, it hurt like hell! Next time I'll drive a LOT harder left with more left angle. Stay away from the right.

deepstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2006   #2

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Seems like you either know to be very scared of that creek or you will get hurt and then be very scared of that creek. Is there any serious colorado class V paddler that doesn't personally know someone who has been jacked in CB? I doubt it.
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006   #3

Well don't drive too far left there. There's a subsurface "flake" rock that at certain flows is hard to see but will launch your bow upwards. Seems to be how i got nose up on the top of that drop and with a broken back at the bottom. Yup, lots of folks get hurt on that creek.
-claire
mountainbuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2006   #4

sounds like you need to go back to bear creek bra!
kurfothich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006   #5

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
No doubt. Love Bear Creek - too bad about this year. I'm not saying anything bad about OBJ or Daisey- great creeks. I do think that people take it a little too easy in CB though. I've personally met more people who have broken a bone, compressed vertebrae, crushed their face and popped shoulders on OBJ/Daisey than on all other CO creeks combined. That's not to mention all the broken boats and paddles. They're easy creeks for the gradient with great access and scenery, but it will end your boating season or worse if you fuck up a line. That's my point.
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006   #6

Joe, I'm the guy that tried recruiting you and everyone else at the campground early in the day to hit OBJ but had no takers. Y'all probably made a wise decision. Then I pitoned my ribs on Daisy before joining the lemming parade off Big Wood falls with a marginal line and then proceeding to jack myself at the Dead Zone. I'm still hurtin and gettin low on the pain pills. Rib injuries blow. I wish I could make it to the race to watch the carnage. Misery loves company. No regrets, though.
deepstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006   #7

Ken, that sux dude! Perhaps i will see you over at FIBark?

Ten cuidado - gabe
gsteg is offline   Reply With Quote