Oh-Be-Joyful Race - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-02-2006   #1

Oh-Be-Joyful Race

Pyranha kayaks, Immersion research and Astral buoyancy are excited to announce the RACE IS ON!!
June 10th. the field is limited to 50 competitors, pre registration starts at 9:30 pm at the "LOBAR" in Downtown Crested Butte. race day registration is in the Oh-Be-Joyful campground and will start at 10:00 am to 12:00 noon, or til we hit 50 people. the prize is Glory and Money. purse will be based on the # of competitors. There are 2 catagories Men and Women. 20 bucks to enter and you need to have run the creek prior to entry.
This event can only happen if we work together. Oh-Be-Joyful is located at the edge of our wilderness boundry. So it is a pack it in pack it out venue. Vehicle traffic up the oh-be-joyful road will be discouraged. We will have a truck there to shuttle boats, but all competitors need to walk the coarse for pre race inspection and to see the points of safety. WATER UPDATE the creek will be running high for the race. the 1st run starts at 3pm the 2nd will be at 5pm. last night the water was consideredto be high by local standards. The result of the water level is a possible under 4 min race time...... fast. the nature of the Creek or lines havn't really changed you don't touch rock on the slides. Please understand this will be an aggressive venue for a race.

freshfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2006   #2

Carpool

I am looking to carpool to the race this weekend from the front range. If anyone is headed that direction please give me give me a ring at 303 709 4fiveninetwo. Also any predictions on what the level will be like this weekend with the heat? Last weekend, a high-med flow with not that many people up there, its only been warmer this week.
-Jason
Jase_aries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006   #3

oh be

the creek has been in the green up to 3 pm after that it's turning brown and rising. med-high. Daisy and the slate have been great at dusk this week. bt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2006   #4

KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
BT,
Sick poster. One of the best I have seen! Any chance you have some available for sale? Good luck with the race and good on you for putting it on. An epic race dude.

hobie
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006   #5

California Canoe and Kayak Oakland California
Send a message via MSN to Parkito
If you forget your elbow pads, remember their is a paddle shop in Almont. Good luck racers!
Parkito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006   #6

OB levels

OK updated water flows as of thursday. we saw some colder wet waether hit the valley last night a still today. the Creek is back into the Classic Green level./ not low and not high running perfect with clearwater.....
bt
Old 06-08-2006   #7

Edwards, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
thanks for the flow updates. should be a great weekend.

Question - will the creek be "closed off" to non-racers on saturday prior to the race for practice runs? we're hoping to get a few laps in before watching the race.

thanks.
Bryan Houle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006   #8

Eagle, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to matts Send a message via MSN to matts Send a message via Yahoo to matts Send a message via Skype™ to matts
What a GREAT EVENT! I came back as soon as the race finished for an emergency, so I missed the final results, but Toepper did an awesome job coordinating the race this year and i'm sure results will be posted in a bit after folks are recovered from post race partying and booty beer drinking. There was an awesome turnout of people, some that paddle even some that don't!

I think the fastest time was around 3:44 (one lap), but i'm not sure. Clean lines for the most part... a few swims at the big drop and one or two in other places - some more noteable than others (haha)... no injuries aside from one cut nose... all-in-all a great day.

thanks to all involved for putting on the race.
matts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006   #9

ya, BT did a great job! thanks to all helped!!! and as far as your resutls go
1.Julezs cambell
2.Jason Beakes
3. Clay Wright, and Bryan Kirk
Sorry if i didnt spell your names right im goinng off memory!
kurfothich is offline   Reply With Quote