Off side roll - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-26-2009   #1

Pueblo West, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Off side roll

I can't do an off side roll to save my life . My on side roll is real strong. Should I concentrate on my on side roll or my off side roll?

Cipherion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2009   #2

Hood River, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipherion View Post
I can't do an off side roll to save my life
That sounds like an answer to your question right there...

Have a friend move your paddle for you for a few times. Think about what you are doing. For an on-side C to C you are moving your right blade out while leaving the left on the hull of your boat. The offside is the same motion just reversing the arm you are moving.

Think about the mechanics of it and have a friend help. Try to learn to roll in any way possible.
David Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009   #3

dork, confusion
Paddling Since: 2000
learn your backdeck roll it will keep you off the bottom and helps keeps you in the hole for long rodeo rides. that's my seceret!
chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2009   #4

Golden, Colorado
You need both sides. In the playpark start using the offside as your primary roll until you can hit it consistently. After you miss on the offside once or twice then use your onside to get up. You won't keep missing it forever.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009   #5

Go to the pond with a pair of goggles. Watch your blade from under the water as you set-up. Remember to engage your knee, snap, and keep your head down. Look down your paddle shaft clear to your blade as you roll up. You'll nail it in no time!
4runninrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009   #6

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
Yeah, learn both sides, you're going to need both. Once you get a mediocre off-side, try and roll on that side every day.
craven_morhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009   #7

Thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
4runnin on it, get some goggles or a diving mask, I think a pool would be better but a clear lake should be fine. You need to see what you are doing wrong. Watch what you do on your on-side, compared to what you do on your off-side.

B.C.
rockinRio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009   #8

Lakewood, Colorado
I'm curious, how many of you actually use your off-side roll on the river? I can do an offside roll in flatwater but when I flip on the river it's automatic to just go onside.

Also, does paddle blade offset affect the ease of an off-side roll?
mjpowhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009   #9

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Take it back to the basics. Go to the pool or lake and do your hip on the side or with a friend (sans paddle). The mask idea good to ensure a proper setup. Do your low and high braces (I'm presuming your off side is your left, you paddle with a right handed paddle, and as such lends itself to the low brace) over and over and over. See if you can get your face in the water when you brace. That'll help improve your off side hipsnap.
hojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009   #10

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpowhound View Post
I'm curious, how many of you actually use your off-side roll on the river? I can do an offside roll in flatwater but when I flip on the river it's automatic to just go onside.

Also, does paddle blade offset affect the ease of an off-side roll?

It has been my experience that if my first roll attempt fails (either side) then it's usually faster to setup on the opposite side rather than return to the original (often on-side) setup given the resultant paddle position. I've used both sides a lot. As far as paddle blade is concerned, there is no difference of which I'm aware. So long as you can get the blade high enough and at the correct angle then each side is the same. It usually boils down to my flexibility and familiarity with the roll technique.
hojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beginner, kayak roll, newbee, roll