Of Propane towers, regulators and blasters... - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 11-01-2010   #1

Of Propane towers, regulators and blasters...

I’d like to set up a propane hose system that incorporates a propane tower with seperate values for a stovea and blaster. I'd also like to incorporate a regulator if possible. I'd like to do all of this with one propane tank....

Does anyone out there have examples of their systems?

rsmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2010   #2

Hi,

I bought one at Cabelas several years ago. They call it a safety post

Cabela's: Three Outlet Safety Post

Hope this helps.

Rich Phillips
richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010   #3

C. Springs, Colorado
I use a simple Y adaptor so I have the option of using one or multiple stoves from the same bottle. Google Y adaptor and you'll find a bunch of them for sale in different configurations.
Mr. Heater® Y Adapter Propane Fitting - 3002132 | Tractor Supply Company
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2010   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I just built something I think is similar.. I took 1/4 black iron pipe with ell and tee fittings and got a old BBQ propane hose to hook it to the main pipe. I have two six inch pipes running off the main pipe with gas valves to control the flow. Think of it as a big "F"... Then capped the ends of the six inch pipes with a 1/4 brass cap, drilled with a 1/16 hole. I welded that onto a 6" X 2" steel pipe to make two jet burners. Checked all my connections with soapy H20 and said a prayer the first time I lit it..... Think kicks ass puts out some serious heat and boils 10-15 Gallons in no time. Hope this helps you could add as many "fingers" off the main pipe as you want, using one propane tank to supply it. By the way this is for brewing, probably a bit bulky for the rio.
jnanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010   #5

Hi,

It's cheaper, but with the Y-connector, you have to have two appliances connected at all times.

In contrast, with the Cabelas device you can connect and disconnect an appliance at your discretion while still using the other ports. That's because there is a cutoff at each outlet that seals it when it's not in use.

That might not matter for some applications, but it could for others.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010   #6

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
http://www.coleman.com/coleman/image...005192_500.jpg
MountainMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010   #7

C. Springs, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by richp View Post
Hi,

It's cheaper, but with the Y-connector, you have to have two appliances connected at all times.

In contrast, with the Cabelas device you can connect and disconnect an appliance at your discretion while still using the other ports. That's because there is a cutoff at each outlet that seals it when it's not in use.

That might not matter for some applications, but it could for others.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
Rich,
Does your tree you bought allow you to use sandard propane fittings to be screwed into it....or do you have to use special hose ends like the Coleman tree that Mountainmedic posted the link to?

I've gone to strictly Tiki Torch lighting so I gave up using the annoying propane lantern on top of the tree system.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010   #8

Groveland, California
I bought this fitting from Tractor Supply. I can hook up my two burner Brunton stove and a Woodland Power stove to a bulk tank, even though they both use different fittings. I leave the hose attached to it, and store it inside the stove...nice and compact. A lot less bulky than the trees, though I don't need the LP lighting..... I went to LED.

Quote:
The new ACME (external threaded) fittings have a plunger valve inside that only allows propane to flow when an appliance is attached, so you can run one stove off of a splitter, and leave the other empty, it will not leak.
HPMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010   #9

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverdan View Post
I use a simple Y adaptor so I have the option of using one or multiple stoves from the same bottle. Google Y adaptor and you'll find a bunch of them for sale in different configurations.
Mr. Heater® Y Adapter Propane Fitting - 3002132 | Tractor Supply Company
Does anyone know why they don't put the large, course thread nut on the end that screws to the tank? It seems that would be easier to connect.
Old 11-02-2010   #10

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverdan View Post
Rich,
Does your tree you bought allow you to use sandard propane fittings to be screwed into it....or do you have to use special hose ends like the Coleman tree that Mountainmedic posted the link to?

I've gone to strictly Tiki Torch lighting so I gave up using the annoying propane lantern on top of the tree system.
i rarely use the lantern in the summer (alot in the winter for other stuff). just use one of the tree pipes, one is just an extension anyway. makes it low enough to fit under the table w/three items poss. going at once. i even have a mini gas grill for winter time trailhead camping.
MountainMedic is offline   Reply With Quote