Mountain Buzz banner

october hole huh?

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  klamb 
#1 ·
hey whats up wit dis carter lake releases yo....its not eben october yet and this lil hole is all dried up eh. anyone have any ideas as to when this feature will be flowing again....does this have anything to do with all of that lucious moisture in them thar hills? thanks

#3 ·
Howdy,
Carter Lake is seeing some late season demands from municipal water users.

During the fall, we typically do our scheduled maintenance on the Colorado-Big Thompson project--of which Carter is a part. In an average year, we see demands drop off in late September/early October, so we shut parts of the project down and do our annual checks. This year, municipal demands are calling for water later than they have in the past. I think this is largely due to the drought. So, Carter is going down at a time of year most of us are used to seeing it start to flatten out.

In December or January, around there somewhere, we'll start pumping water up to Carter again. It typically has its highest water level elevation around May. And then summer starts up again, demands come on, and it starts to go down.

And that's pretty much the cycle.
Let me know if you have other questions, etc. about Carter. Happy to answer what I can.

Best,
Kara

#5 ·
For irrigators, that's true. They have stopped calling for C-BT water, for the most part--except for those who are looking to fill up local storage now that the evaporation rates are down. But, don't forget that basically half of the C-BT shares these days are now in the hand of municipalities. They tend to call for their water well into October. Also, there's power generation out of Carter. So late season ag, some municipal and industrial demands, and power will continue to draw the water level down at Carter through October.

Best,
Kara

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.