October Hole - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-31-2006   #1

Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
October Hole

Just wanted to let everyone know that the October hole is working and is pretty fun. If you really want to get wet and play around and hang out with other kayakers then it's for sure worth it. I've been seeing any where from 2 - 8 people at the hole every time I've gone. As it gets above 310 cfs I have been able to loop. At lower flows I can spin, cart wheel, small blunt like things and get huge BLASTS..........To everyone that helped physically and/or financially "Thank you"
As a side note we're already working on next years event "The Lyons Whitewater Festival"
We are making some changes.....A creek race down SSV (NARROWS) will be added and the event will be on a Saturday instead of Sunday. Bike trials will be held during the event. We're also planning a huge party for Saturday night that will have video of the day playing.
A couple of questions
1 what would you like changed in order to make our event grow??
2 Where should we advertise so people that haven't been in the past will know about our event?

erdvm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2006   #2

O

I got my O-Face on last night. Low, but great to be wet.

Matt - do you think there's a way you guys could bring back the Sweedish Bikini Team for next years event?
twitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Re: October Hole

Where is this hole exactly. I have been going up to Lyons recently but I am not sure I am in the correct place. Is it across from the Black Bear Inn. The little place with 2 waves on either side of the footbridge? I ask because it does not appear to me to be running over 200 there.
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2006   #4

The O-hole is about a half mile east on 66 of the black bear hole. There is a little parking area just east of the Lyons welcome sign (big red sandstaone flake), you'll see a chain link fence around the outlet coming from Carter lake.

Rick
rickg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006   #5

Boulder, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickg
The O-hole is about a half mile east on 66 of the black bear hole. There is a little parking area just east of the Lyons welcome sign (big red sandstaone flake), you'll see a chain link fence around the outlet coming from Carter lake.

Rick
Ok, Thanks.
Old 09-01-2006   #6
JBL

Gnarnia, Colorado
Matt,

thanks for getting the ball rolling on the '07 lyons ww fest. here are a few suggestions:

1. kids events/rodeo - start 'em young for a life of paddling.
2. roll clinic for beginners - this will hopefully get more new folks out.
3. boat demos - there are a lot of boat reps in CO.
4. swiftwater rescue clinic at some point during the weekend - i'm an ACA swiftwater rescue instructor and would gladly donate my time.
5. food/beverage donation - fire up some grills and tap a few kegs.
6. make a website for the event (or for lyons ww in general).
7. do a press relaese (or two) and send to all local papers along the front range. lot's of papers will pick up general interest stories/press releases.
8. find a pro boater to "endorse" the event.
9. make promo items for the event - t-shirts, stickers, beer coozies, etc. give away some and sell some to generate funs for the lyons ww park.
10. send flyers to all local paddling shops from denver to ft. fun and ask them to put up in their store.
11. ask more venders/exhibitors to come and set up booths/displays.

i'll keep thinking about it and will send more ideas...
JBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006   #7

Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
Those are Great ideas Ben. Thanks for taking the time to give us the input and please keep it coming. We'll for sure take you up on your offer. We've talked about putting on a rescue rodeo. We should get together for a beer.
erdvm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006   #8

Boulder, Colorado
The Hole

Well finally spent some time on the O-hole this weekend and it's definately worth my 10 mile trip for after work play. Count me in as a resource. I'm not very smart but I can lift heavy things. And for what it's worth (?) I do know a water rights attorney in Glenwood who is a boater.
Old 09-05-2006   #9

JBL, you just described CKS Paddlefest.

I'd stick to an exciting and low key competition with a good party. Worry about demos, safety, and kids at a different type of venue where competition is absent and retail/manufacturer support is the driving force...not volunteer effort.
Old 09-08-2006   #10
JBL

Gnarnia, Colorado
never been to cks paddle fest. never even heard of it.

i live in lyons and want to see this event get off the ground. the more we can offer, the more people that will come and support whitewater in lyons.

go big or go home.
JBL is offline   Reply With Quote