Oct Ruby Horsethief - Cataract trip. will it work? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 07-30-2010   #1

Fort Collins, Colorado
Oct Ruby Horsethief - Cataract trip. will it work?

Hey trying to put together a fall trip, want to start at Loma and end in Lake Powell. We will probably launch around the 13th. How are water levels going to be? What am I getting myself into?

jmetten is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2010   #2

North Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Launch around the 13th of what month? I got a WW permit for 9-12. Hope you have a WW permit for the day your crew arrives at WW. I'd love to run this section with you. You'll be fine as long as you hit rapids straight and move away from stuff you don't want to hit. PM me we can run a shuttle from Loma down to Hite and run Cat... Sweet!
nicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010   #3

West By God, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1999
How many days do you think it will take to cover this distance?
Paddle Iraq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2010   #4

prescott, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1982
are you bringing a motor?
86304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010   #5

13 days
mbannister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010   #6

Hi,

I did WW to Hite solo two Octobers ago. Wonderful weather, almost no other river traffic, and yes, for the last 20 miles I sure was glad I'd brought that little Honda 5.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010   #7

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by richp View Post
Hi,

I did WW to Hite solo two Octobers ago. Wonderful weather, almost no other river traffic, and yes, for the last 20 miles I sure was glad I'd brought that little Honda 5.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips

How long did it take you? Raft I presume?
stubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010   #8

Hi,

Yeah, forgot to mention that.

I took 14 days, and I rowed only half-energized most days. One day, just to see how far I would travel, I didn't row at all, only taking positioning strokes to stay in the current. I loafed along and did 15 or so miles that day, IIRC. So anyone who wants to exert themself can get down in far less time than I took.

A couple of other factors to consider. I had virtually no upstream wind -- you may not be so lucky. The days are short and getting shorter that time of year -- your shore routine may be impacted, depending on the size of your group. Being by myself, I had a real quick meal routine and minimum camp setup/takedown time. There were a few mornings when I had ice in the water bottle, but the weather there is still pretty good. (Yes, well, there was that October 3-4 years back, when it was raining, cold, and miserable for a week or so in mid-October, but the law of averages will be on your side.)

Hope this helps.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010   #9
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
i have done it twice. both with motors. the first was 18 days and 3 layovers the second was 18 days and 4 layovers. both had big days of motoring involved. i wouldnt think of doing it that time of year without a motor unless i had at least 3 weeks and planned on getting rid of layovers if the wind picked up. we had wind so bad in the daily that we were going upstream in a rapid with the motor!!!!!!!!!!! had we been rowing it would have been a day to drink. with low water and wind i have seen row trips take 5 days just to get through the flats from potash to the rapids in cat. the stretch below the daily and above potash is disgustingly flatter. i would take a motor if you like layovers and dont like rowing all day everyday if it is windy. you only have to use it when you want. a cool last camp above potash is on the sand bar across from wallstreet. it sets you up to get to potash in just a couple hours to meet your cat party.
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010   #10

Fort Collins, Colorado
Awesome thanks for all the tips. So with a motor and no layovers is 12 days doable? Would it be worth adding layovers and if so where?
jmetten is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cataract