Oct 1st Idaho trip- beta needed- - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-27-2011   #1

missoula, montucky
Paddling Since: 1993
Oct 1st Idaho trip- beta needed-

Good evening friends!
We're up in Missoula and need to get out of town for the weekend. We'd love to get our raft on the water and explore a little of Idaho. Is anything runnable? We would love to either do an overnight with an easier shuttle or a couple day stretches. Been keeping an eye on AW and see some stretches of the Salmon and Payette are promising, but we've never been on anything in Idaho except for the Lochsa and could use some suggestions from our friends over the border
Kasper

mtnkasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2011   #2

pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
The payette system is always running. There are day stretches in the I, II, III, III+ and IV- range right now.

They have good camping, access, easy shuttles and are quality runs. Don't forget to check out all of the hotsprings while you are at it.

probably a bit low for real fun on any of the salmon system outside of the permit areas. If you have time and money you can get middlefork and main permits now easily on recreation.gov
fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011   #3

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I've been looking for an overnighter for next weekend (not necessarily Idaho), and one option is the Main Salmon below North Fork. I don't really know the details, and we're going to be in IK's, but it's probably worth checking out to see if rafts would work. We've also considered the Selway below the falls, but lots of houses and car campers to avoid and may be too low for rafts. We haven't checked into the details on this either.

The Main Salmon below Carey should have plenty of water, and is a gorgeous canyon with lots of sandy beaches.

I thought the SF Payette was "off" now?

There's always the Snake, I think permits are pretty easy to pick up this time of year.
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2011   #4

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
We got off the Middle Fork Saturday before last, and the stretch below North Fork looked good. The steelhead fisherman will be showing up on that stretch before long, so I'd get while the gettin's good.
KJ
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011   #5
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
I've been looking for an overnighter for next weekend (not necessarily Idaho), and one option is the Main Salmon below North Fork. I don't really know the details.....
Funny I was thinking of this too for another campout with the girls before way cold season starts.

Hmmmmm......
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011   #6

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by cataraftgirl
We got off the Middle Fork Saturday before last, and the stretch below North Fork looked good. The steelhead fisherman will be showing up on that stretch before long, so I'd get while the gettin's good.
KJ
How was the level? Putting in Friday.
Old 09-28-2011   #7
Cpt. No Scout

In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
Lower Salmon hammer creek to pine bar is a good over nighter. Lots of camping and a couple waves. also, Jet boats and salmon fishers tend to stay out of that section of water. Just head down the lochsa pop over to grangeville and your there!
idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011   #8

Loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
KJ

Cataraftgirl...how was the fishing?
John_in_Loveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011   #9

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMedic View Post
How was the level? Putting in Friday.
We launched from Indian Creek on Sept. 10 at 1.89 feet, had a jump up to 2 feet on our next to the last day after some rain, and took out on Sept 17 at around 1.95 feet. This was a really sweet level for a September trip. I think it was around 1.78 feet when I checked the website today. So still a good level. Our weather was awesome. A little rain at night, but not too chilly, and no bad wind. A little smoky from a fire around Ship Island, but not bad at all.

John In Loveland - I didn't fish this year. I've had some tendonitis in my right wrist, so I didn't want to overdo things with any fly fishing and end up really sore for rowing. There were a lot of outfitters with fishing groups while we were on the river. The most folks we've ever had at Indian Creek in September, and more than usual coming from the top. Abstaining from fishing was KILLING me.......I swear the fish were mocking me as I floated over them. The fisherman we saw seemed to be doing really well.

KJ
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011   #10

missoula, montucky
Paddling Since: 1993
Sounds like there are some great options. Thanks so much! Laura and KJ, would like some more thoughts on the sections below North Fork. White water bible isn't helping me too much. Ha! Sounds like a great close option if we could find a two day section. Also, Idahofloater- do you know the river miles for hammercreek to pine bar? my book is saying only 10, but it might not be accurate....The forecast keeps improving everytime i check it!
mtnkasper is offline   Reply With Quote