Obscure Runs that you did this year? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-18-2010   #1

Geologist, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Obscure Runs that you did this year?

I have been waiting to see posts of obscure runs that people ran this year due to the high water, but haven't seen much. What did you paddle this year that doesn't run that often/never, is off the beaten path, or was an extraordinary high-water descent?

Runs in this category that I got on include:
Blue River Source, Silverplume (Clear Creek), Breck play park, Keystone Canyon

jonny water is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2010   #2

Silverdale, Washington
Paddling Since: 2007
Was it worth doing the Breck playpark just to say you did it? I considered that but it didn't happen. Where did you paddle for the Blue source? Start up on the pass somewhere or just the base of the pass? Did you boat down Clear Creek to Silverplume, or from Silverplume to Georgetown? The closest thing to obscure I can say I paddled was the Upper Snake near Keystone, since I only know a few people personally that have paddled that stretch.
Old 06-18-2010   #3

West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Boulder Creek below Castlerock Bridge and pull out before the Narrows. Above Nederland to Barker Res.
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2010   #4

Geologist, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_Patrick View Post
Was it worth doing the Breck playpark just to say you did it? I considered that but it didn't happen. Where did you paddle for the Blue source? Start up on the pass somewhere or just the base of the pass? Did you boat down Clear Creek to Silverplume, or from Silverplume to Georgetown? The closest thing to obscure I can say I paddled was the Upper Snake near Keystone, since I only know a few people personally that have paddled that stretch.
Blue River Source: put-in at Blue River Town below Goose Tarn. There were 4 river wide logs about 1 mile below the put-in that had to be portaged.

Breck Park: since I ran the Blue Source, i continued down thru the park. Yeah, I did it just to check it off and it was kind of fun cause it had water....best play features were natural waves.

Silverplume: I was by myself and paddled down to Silverplume. The mank below the highway looked sketchy and it was hailing/pouring rain and the water was chocolate milk. I may run the lower portion into Georgetown another day.

Upper Snake: I ran this also by myself as no locals would meet me that morning. Ran Tenmile @ high water with Montezuma locals (thanks) and owner of Tenmile Kayak Shop (sweet shop dude)!
Old 06-18-2010   #5

Sorry about not being able to get on the snake that next morning.... needed to get some stuff done at work early.

BTW, Upper snake is only marginally obscure I would say, it probably gets over a hundred runs a year on it, summit locals actually are on it a fair bit.
farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010   #6

Eagle Creek, Arizona, which flows into the Gila Box. Class III luxury self support kayak. Very obscure. Damn nice camping, some short slot canyon hikes, and an old homestead. Highlight was paddling into a forrest and all of a sudden seeing a pack of roughly 50 ring-tail cats, with about 20 of them starring at them. Saw a coati. Lot's of heron's. Awesome. It flows into the Gila Box of AZ, which isn't so obscure (thus we had a paid for shuttle on Eagle Creek). Tyler Williams Paddling AZ book has a writeup of the entire run... we just did the lower part. Not for rafts, FYI.

Poland Creek AZ was obscure, and not so luxury.
Old 06-22-2010   #7
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
^ that sounds really awesome, thanks for posting that cutch. if i lived in AZ that would be high on my list to do but living in CO kinda makes it hard. sounds like a lot of fun though, tylers description leaves you with just enough to make you want to go.

on topic though:

Fremont River, UT, NP section- fast fun III. limited wood but makes 80 cfs more fun than youd think.

Taylor River, CO, Taylor Park section- it runs great every year (~950cfs this year, ~900 last year, and 1000+ in twenty-oh-eight) and its getting cleaner and more classic all the time. Come on down and get some next year, you wont be disappointed!

Big River, CO, below Rio Grande Res.- did it at a high flow, like 1400-1500. Lots of bigwater in a narrow canyon but oh so fun!
Old 06-23-2010   #8

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Unfortunately I missed the window again this year, but I spent a little more time today scouting and removing wood from Chalk Creek.
There is a section of mediocre III-IV from Alpine to Cascade that I have been looking at...the top and bottom look good to go, but the middle has a couple of places where it forks and there is quite a bit of wood.
Where the real goods are is from Chalk Lake Campground to the Colorado Trail Bridge...I walked most of it today, and it looks like a high quality solid V-V+ run that could be lots of fun if the portages were well marked (I saw a couple of drops that reminded me of Paralyzer on LC)...here are a couple of pics

This was near the top of the gorge, the first 1/2 mile or so looked like this:

This really nice looking slide was about halfway down to the Mt. Princeton Campground. It looked a little shallow at 100 cfs, but I bet at 200 it would be a rockin good time!

This is what most of the "in-between" stuff looked like...pretty much good fun.

Too bad the window was so short this season, Chalk Creek spiked to 1200 back on the 6th and since then has dropped uncharacteristicly fast:
Detail Graph

This run needs some attention for next year, it has the potential to be a fantatstic creek run, closer to BV than LC or CC...
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010   #9

Geologist, Colorado
I have been using the Chalk Creek put-in for Brown's Canyon and really enjoyed the short run before the confluence with the Ark. I have been wondering what the upper stretches were like. Thanks for posting. Do you know if the lower section is still doable with the lower flow....thinking of a Brown's run tomorrow with the wife.
Old 06-24-2010   #10

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny water View Post
Do you know if the lower section is still doable with the lower flow....thinking of a Brown's run tomorrow with the wife.
I don't even think you can scrape down it at 100. We did it last week when it still had 160 in it (lowest I have done it) and we dragged bottom the whole way. I don't think 100 will float a boat in that lowest section...
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote