OBJ flow and quadruple crown for this w/e (6-26)? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 06-21-2010   #1

OBJ flow and quadruple crown for this w/e (6-26)?

Tough to tell what is going on up there, any word on flows for the weekend?

Steve.

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure. - Helen Keller
sward is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2010   #2

Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
Would love to hear about this myself. We are heading there this weekend. Stoked to hit OBJ again. It's been a couple years... Hope we don't get skunked.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010   #3

Well boys, its a big MAYBE. Well, we'll say a likely MAYBE. Flows have been fantastic in the late afternoon and low but runnable during the day. Did a quadruple for a friend's 49th b-day on Sunday and it was definitely do-able with the early runs low and the last run of the day on OBJ at 7 pm on the padded side of medium.

So...ummm...yeah, to get to your question, just hope for the best and if you are gonna make it up for a weekend at runnable flows this one will be your last chance.

PS - Gunnison River festival is THIS WEEKEND, so you can always head down to the fun events at the river park and on the Taylor during the day and head back up to the creeks once they get going in the afternoon.

AND there is a FREE Karl Denson's Tiny Universe show at Mt. CB at 7:30 on Saturday. AND this weekend is fat tire bike week. My new slogan - "biking...a relatively fun thing to do when the water runs out".

PPS - Hey SWARD...headed to Monte Vista for work on Thurs. Thinking about coming over to Vallecito for a Friday run if its high enoughh. How is that right now and are you available? I think Parker is out....
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2010   #4

Thanks Meng... hope to see you this weekend. Bringing the dirt bikes just in case!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
Old 06-22-2010   #5

x, x
Paddling Since: x
I have been waiting for this to drop down to about 300. What is runnable unrunable at low flows? i was hoping to enjoy some low water slides and maybe the 25 footer that marty ran with pic in the guide book. i have a small crew to set safety, but i have no business at medium to high flows so was looking to get it low. I just want to run some stuff, can anyone advise? also wanting to fire up upper east.

Marty, any chance you guys could back me up if i meet you out there? fat boy needs a serious safety crew to be running that, could use the help of some calm minded heavys, wont be a bother. free beers and food all weekend long.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010   #6

Bob - don't wait. The falls are sketchier, harder, bigger and more consequential when they are super low, and the slides are worse b.c there is less water to get strokes on and more grabbies (this is all just my opinion of course). You want it low side of medium, which is late in the day right now at current flows (500-600 on Slate gauge). Daisy is going in the afternoon - that might be your speed?
Old 06-22-2010   #7

Bob, Meng has some great points here. But I know what you are saying... I too am not much for the upper medium levels on OBJ. It's a whiteout at some of those flows and the fact is, I am just not that great a boater to enjoy that much goodness.
You can bet that if I am there (which is very likely), I will set the best safety I can for you. Haven't done obj in 2 seasons, but ran it a ton in the years prior too that. I feel I know it really well and can't wait to get back in there.
Feel free to call my cell as the weekend approaches. 303-517-2621
Old 06-22-2010   #8

Thanks for the Beta guys. We will likely head up. Are there any Down river races in the gunnison Festival? Sounds like fun.

Meng, Vallecito is way low. The lowest I have run it is 1.7 or 170 CFS, manky for sure, but all the lines are the same, entrance is user friendly.

If it is still in I would be down
Steve.
Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure. - Helen Keller
sward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010   #9

x, x
Paddling Since: x
Craw, i will call you closer to the weekend, thank you. i am in. Meng, you make good points, i guess ill be firing it up at the current flows. definately going to do upper east first to see where i am at. but i am making the drive regardless... see you out there. steve i got your number too, ill call you thurs or fri to see if you are coming up.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010   #10
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I'd definitely agree with Meng about OBJ flows. I don't think there's a super easy bone zone flow where you can just have some whoopty slides and waterfall drops. I'd also add that I feel like OBJ gets run by a lot of people who probably shouldn't be on it. I'm not saying that's you Bob, just saying people see the pictures and hear people say how easy is it. It is easy for a run with big drops in Colorado from the perspective of solid class V boaters, (often ones who run it a lot) but I certainly wouldn't call it easy. It has creek moves with big consequences and people definitely get hurt or have close calls there on a regular basis.

Anyway, that's my mom lecture. I'm just often surprised to hear people who don't seem to have much class V creek experience at all go off and fire OBJ thinking it's no big deal.

The plan to start on Upper East is a good one (just scout your takeout). If it's easy and non-intimidating, , Daisy is a good and super fun run a notch between Upper East and OBJ. Make sure you know where to be on the slides and the waterfall though and watch out of Rip Your Head off at low water - there are some FU flakes near the slot.

The first normal drop (Heart Attack) on OBJ is pretty damn forgiving and a good park and huck if you don't want to mess with the rest.

That's my 2 cents for safe and fun CB boating.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote