Oars and spares - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-02-2009   #1
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Oars and spares

I am off the training wheels and really prefer the wrap and stop setup. However I can't afford 4 Cataract or Sawyer oars so I think my spares will be Carlisles, which don't seem to come with rope wrap. Do I just use the plastic oar sleeves alone? Should I keep Oar Rights on the Carlisles?

What does everyone else do for their spare oars?

Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2009   #2

Curious, what does the rope wrap do for the oar?
Tiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009   #3
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
I use this over an oar sleeve.

Plastic Oar Stoppers

but prefer rope wrap (no fiddling with bolts and slipping sleeves). the manufacturer will put the rope wrap at the 1/3 point so you always know where the ideal oarlock position should be but you can adjust it 6 inches either way with your doughnut.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2009   #4

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I use the same oars for spares as I do for my main oars. I'd hate to flip at Velvet, loose an oar and then have to finish the trip with a piece for shit oar that I carried for a spare. In fact, when I leave for a trip, I just load up my 4 oars, all set up the same and there is not a lot of thought as to which are spares and which are the main oars. Just strap two on and put others in the oar lock.

PS. On day trips I usually only carry one spare.

One more thing, after trying several different setups, I now use a pair of 4ft loop straps as my tethers. I have rope wrap on all my oars and when the loop strap is pulled snug on the rope, it stays in place quit well. Without the rope, I'm guessing the strap would loosen up and slide down the oar which could be a problem.
rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009   #5
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhyman View Post
I use the same oars for spares as I do for my main oars. I'd hate to flip at Velvet, loose an oar and then have to finish the trip with a piece for shit oar that I carried for a spare. In fact, when I leave for a trip, I just load up my 4 oars, all set up the same and there is not a lot of thought as to which are spares and which are the main oars. Just strap two on and put others in the oar lock.
Hmmmm... I need more money. I will need four oars, since my trip is 56 days. I was thinking that with 2 Carlisle spares that if I lost one oar I could then run 2 Carlisles so they would feel the same. The only way I'd be on 2 different oars would be if I lost or broke 2 oars. Maybe I should just do 4 Sawyers.

Anyone have used Sawyer or Cat shafts that they want to sell?
Old 01-02-2009   #6
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
can't you get a pro deal or somethin?
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009   #7
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Yeah, but it's still expensive! Cat shafts are still around $100 each. With Wild Turkey coming in at over $25 a handle, and Dinosaur bending me over for the Lodore permit, I've got to cut costs where I can!

By the way, I'll be posting my trip itinerary again soon, and anyone who wants to join us for Lodore, Deso, Cataract, or other parts of the Green are certainly welcome. Lodore is March 24, Deso is on April 2, and Cat from Mineral Bottom is April 19.

Just 2 of us doing the whole thing so far...
Old 01-02-2009   #8

Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
Fugg,that sounds like a fun trip. Are you floating the Uinta Basin's (north and south)above Deso,i take it?? Then thru GR and Labyrinth and Stillwater?
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009   #9

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Rope Wraps - the rope offers a coupe benefits, and they are fairly exclusive to open oarlocks w/o oar rights. First the rope offers more friction than the plastic (doesn't effect rowing, just oar position). Once the rope gets 'brassed up' it is fairly sticky and you can run the oars w/o stoppers. Most people still leave the stoppers on (so you don't accidently have the oar slip past the top of the wrap), but you can now adjust the exact position of the oars easily. This is nice when rowing a lot of flat water. You can pull the oars in by say 4-5 inches for a nice overlap, then push them out to say 2 inches apart for whitewater so you don't break any thumbs. You can also pull the oars in a foot or so and stand up and row by leaning forward and letting gravity do some of the work for you.

I don't know that rope wraps offer any benefits if you are running pins and clips or if you run with oar rights. IMHO.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009   #10
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryDingle View Post
Fugg,that sounds like a fun trip. Are you floating the Uinta Basin's (north and south)above Deso,i take it?? Then thru GR and Labyrinth and Stillwater?
Yeo. The whole enchilada from Flaming Gorge Dam to Dirty Devil, then the section above Lee's and the Grand Canyon. Have you been down the basins Dingle? Any advice?