Oar rig on the poudre? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-13-2009   #1

Oar rig on the poudre?

Never rafted the poudre before. Would love to get it done this summer. Definitely better on the oars then guiding a paddle raft. Any thoughts?

eddyout is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2009   #2

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I also have an oar rig, (15') that I was planning on doing the lower stretch of the Poudre with, Filter plant to Picnic Rock. Am I to big to do the Upper Rustic? Any info would be great. Hopefully the water will be high enough to do the bottom stretch this weekend.
muttster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009   #3

Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I'd say its too low to raft the FP section. I know the raft renters boat the river pretty low but I'd probably wait until a min 2.5' if you actually want to get a little splashed Also for Urustic better wait until 3' on the rock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttster View Post
I also have an oar rig, (15') that I was planning on doing the lower stretch of the Poudre with, Filter plant to Picnic Rock. Am I to big to do the Upper Rustic? Any info would be great. Hopefully the water will be high enough to do the bottom stretch this weekend.
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2009   #4

student
In my opinion, rustic should not be done below four feet to have fun. It is too low and you will get stuck everywhere. It is pretty up there and cool to see but would be a lot of rock dodging.
It would be easier to paddle raft the main stretch, it gets pretty tight in some place, but if you do decide to oar it, wait for a good level (3 feet and above, preferably 3.5 and above)
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009   #5

Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
There's a few of us who oar it on the weekends,once its flowing. We usually do Stevens (uppermish,lowermish,PoudrePark,Bridges) down,it makes for an exciting day. Lowest we've done it was 2ft. Definitely doable at that level,but there are some parts where it gets VERY bony and you'll be dodgin rock. Mostly on Lower Mish,also Tunnel gets pretty rocky at that level. I'd def. wait til about 3.5 to 4ft to go do the Rustics. 4ft for Upper Rustic.

I don't know if Filter will have enough water in it this weekend or not. It's kind've like the Lower-mish and upper Rustic section--in that it requires a little bit more water(whitewaters not the same) in them,esp. in the long straight-away below MadDog(fuzzy bunny) rapid. You might get bored on FP,its just short and not much action in a raft--and its the most crowded.....usually.

Looking at the parking lot on a weekend at Picnic Rock is way more scarier than Filter Plant
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009   #6

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Send a message via Yahoo to jeffy
I'm no raft Guru, but there was a cat with plastic tubes on Bridges last night... I think they ran Poudre Park down.
jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009   #7

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
I've oared my 16' from Upper Mish through Bridges above 3.5'. Very fun run.
I'd like to get on the Rustic sections this summer, once they're over 4'.
slowgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009   #8

Wellington, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I rafted the Filter plant run Tues. and Thurs. It was low but only got stuck once. Its not all that exciting, but better than yardwork.
outdoordad42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009   #9

loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowgan View Post
I've oared my 16' from Upper Mish through Bridges above 3.5'. Very fun run.
I'd like to get on the Rustic sections this summer, once they're over 4'.
Where do you find, other than the rock, the depth? I only know eddyflower and it seems to only give CFS. I'm just trying to relate the numbers people are giving to cfs. Thanks, Cy
cpollema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009   #10

boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Poudre Rock Report | Kayak flows for the Poudre River
davecosnowboarder is offline   Reply With Quote