View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Pins and Clips 10 19.61%
Oar locks 41 80.39%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-18-2007   #1

golden
Oar locks or Pins and Clips?

What is your preference on a oar raft?
I have heard that pins and clips are called training wheels because you can not feather the oars. Is This true?
Help me out rafters.

miker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2007   #2

on your sister, ...
imho, pins/clips can lick my sweaty balls right after tubers. loathe them.

give me freedom with my oars or give me death!!!!
tuberslickmysweatyballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007   #3

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Ahhh. One of the classis rafting debates begins...

I use oarlocks with the OTHER kind of training wheels, oar-rights. I consider pins and clips to be dangerous because of all the sharp metal they entail (hose clamps, etc.) and usually just call them "pins and razors." I once dressed a "pins and razors" wound that required 48 stitches (internal and external).

With oarlocks I can ship my oars easily and have more freedom, even with the oar-rights.

--Andy

Next we can talk about how we like to drain coolers, then what kinds of menus we like for multi-days, then we'll tackle catarafts vs. rafts....
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2007   #4

Oar Locks are the way to go........To be honest, if you use oar locks and can learn to feather your ours, you will be a much better boatman. I would say that "training wheels" would be if you used Oar Rights, which utilize your oar locks but prevent you from feathering your oars. Simply use oar stoppers on your shafts and nothing else.
Pins and Clips where created by a man named Lucifer and should never even be considered. But, to each; his own, use what you like.
Tylermon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007   #5

ww guide/ frame builder/welder, mobile fabrication gig
Paddling Since: 1988
Holy Can Of Worms!!!!

It depends on what im doing.
My little cat 12' I run pins and clips. It is a highwater, day run, rig.
I like pins a clips because they are more secure, as far as a pop-out goes. (they are dangerous as hell though)

My multi-day rig, I run wrapped and stopped oars. No oarrights, they are the training wheels that you were referring to, not pins/clips.

On multiday trips I like the ability to change the blade position. feathering works terrific, for both manuvering the boat, and to reduce wind drag.
Old 04-18-2007   #6

Northern Utah, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
Pins/Clips

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker View Post
What is your preference on a oar raft?
I have heard that pins and clips are called training wheels because you can not feather the oars. Is This true?
Help me out rafters.
A few thoughts on the topic.

Pins and Clips have ups and downs. You can't feather your oar, you can't easily pull your oars in (not tucking the ends, but literally pulling them in to shorten length) - certainly not as "pure" as going w/ basic oar rights. You can maime yourself if not careful (lots of ducttape and good clamps), and they do require some maintenance during trips (hammer, sockets, screwdriver, etc).

The upside is that pins/clips are easy to use, esp for a novice. They tend to stay locked in place, don't need to worry about feathering, don't need to worry (usually) about losing your oar into the water, etc.

Oar Sleeves are a nice alternative to basic oar wrights and pins/clips. They keep your oar at a certain feather, they keep your oar from sliding out away from the boat, etc. They can also be removed when/if you want the basic setup.

Like anything, if you can try before you buy you'll have a better idea of what you like/don't like.
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007   #7

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
They all suck.

Persoanlly, I'm fighting with this problem right now on both of my cats. In the past I have used all types, oar rights, pins and clips and open oar locks. What I have found is that they all suck. It is a personal preference. I don't like pins and clips at all. They really don't rotate with your oar stroke at all giving you some serious blisters if you don't wear gloves. Oar rights aren't too bad, but over time they end up doing the same, but are tolerable. I've tried alot to run with open oar locks, which seems to be the best way, but has some drawbacks too. Running open oar locks does allow you to feather your blade, but at a price. I think that you expend alot of power just to keep your blade straight and not turning in your hand as you take an oar stroke. Also. if you run wide blades, like 8" blades, it is alittle harder. Right now I run oar rights on my large boat (16' cat) just because I run bigger more powerful water with that boat and there is just one less thing I have to worry about, plus then I'm ensured a 100% power stroke. On my little day cat (13') I run open oar locks and 6" blades. Yes, you can feather the blade and people give you less shit about your "training wheels", but really beside that, I see no advantage to running open oar locks. Sometimes when your blade isn't straight and you miss a stroke and go sideways into a hole, it is definatly a disadvantage. Over all, not sure what is better, all I know is that pins and clips really suck. The rest is up to the oarsman.
DanRauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007   #8

scottsdale, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1979
Oarlocks

Oarlocks; big boat, small boat, day trip, multiday, high water, low water, Class II, Class V. Oarlocks, oarlocks, oarlocks!!
RRHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007   #9

on your sister, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by oarbender View Post
I like pins a clips because ....
arrrrrrr! walk the plank, matey!!!

tuberslickmysweatyballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007   #10
I'm right 50% of the time

RFV, CO
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatmanZ View Post
Oar Sleeves are a nice alternative to basic oar wrights and pins/clips. They keep your oar at a certain feather, they keep your oar from sliding out away from the boat, etc. They can also be removed when/if you want the basic setup.
Fatman... I think you have it backwards. Oar Rights are the things you put on the oar sleve to keep the blade in vertical position. I personally hate those things. I have a set, but feel very confined, as I learned to feather when I started rowing.

I like to run a basic setup with only an oar sleve or rubber stopper. The oar sleve is good, but I would rather have my Cataracts rope wrapped. I use stoppers on my backup pair of Carlisle. The stopper can move a little, but I find it to be a workable and cheap solution for a backup set.

I think it comes down to playing with all of the options and then deciding. It also depends on what you started out on.

« Spokane?? | embudo »