Oak Creek, AZ? - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-06-2009   #1

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Oak Creek, AZ?

I have three days to boat next week. AZ rivers are forecasted for a spike. Assuming flows happen is Oak Creek worth checking out?

I see that Oak Creek is no further that the usual rivers in AZ, is it any good? It looks like an easy shuttle for one vehicle, and fun drops. Is it quality or "soft" class IV?

Also looking at East Verde but a visual is recomended and shuttle looks hard.

Self Support Salt I have done a bunch.

Tonto looks choice but long shuttle and is recomended for 3 days.

Thanks for the beta,
T$

Advertisement

Old 02-06-2009   #2

Flg, Az
Paddling Since: 1984
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosurfgod View Post
I have three days to boat next week. AZ rivers are forecasted for a spike. Assuming flows happen is Oak Creek worth checking out?

I see that Oak Creek is no further that the usual rivers in AZ, is it any good? It looks like an easy shuttle for one vehicle, and fun drops. Is it quality or "soft" class IV?

Also looking at East Verde but a visual is recomended and shuttle looks hard.

Self Support Salt I have done a bunch.

Tonto looks choice but long shuttle and is recomended for 3 days.

Thanks for the beta,
T$
\

all the rivers in naz are gunna spike this weekend
verde is good easy shuttle beasley to gap
oak is good really easy shuttle anywhere
beaver is good easy shuttle mcguireville to black bridge-ish
and there all within 30 miles of each other
relikpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009   #3

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
1) I am not going this weekend, I am going next weekend.

2) Do you see the Verde on my list? I am not driving for class II bullshit.

3) I already know Oak Creek has an easy shuttle, is the whitewater quality and comparable to other quality sections in AZ?

4) Beaver?! Are you serious? Flat water and trees?!

You must be a rafter.
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2009   #4

Boulder, Colorado
Do hellsgate if it is high enough.
tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009   #5

Durango, Colorado
Whatever Taylor, we know you just need an excuse to go sit naked in a "vortex" down in Sedona. Stop pretending like you actually want to go boat.

I'm heading down that direction last week of the month assuming there's water. Maybe you and Tony can go vortex it up together while we're down there.
storm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009   #6

Flg, Az
Paddling Since: 1984
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosurfgod View Post
1) I am not going this weekend, I am going next weekend.

2) Do you see the Verde on my list? I am not driving for class II bullshit.

3) I already know Oak Creek has an easy shuttle, is the whitewater quality and comparable to other quality sections in AZ?

4) Beaver?! Are you serious? Flat water and trees?!

You must be a rafter.
If you don't know, you don't know!!!

have fun on the class 8 oak creek run...if its runnable
make sure you bring your crystals to re-charge in the vortexes fo sedona tourist!!
relikpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009   #7

We did slide rock and some other sections of oak creek last year at low water, and the whitewater wasnt very quality. It dropped a lot the night before we ran it, but I dont think it would be worth the drive even with more water unless it was a lot more. Pretty canyon though.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009   #8

This aggression will not stand. We fuck you up. Get a pass man.
boatingshrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009   #9

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1995
IMO- Oak Creek is a decent run. I've paddled it from about 200-3000cfs but it's only 30 minutes from my house so it's a quick trip for me even if it's low. Slide Rock (IV+/V) is the best section on Oak Creek but the gauge in Sedona has Munds Canyon dumping in so it's really a visual check (above 300 on the Sedona gauge seems to be around the bottom) - Check out the river at Slide Rock State Park, if that looks runnable give it a go. You can also check if there is enough water going over the road behind the Junipine Resort to boof the driveway- if so it's padded out. If you have to scrape over the road it's all still runnable with a touch of mank. Even if you have to carry over the road there are still some nice drops but it's definately on the low side. You can hitch, bike or run shuttle- the road parallels the river.

Indian Gardens -the section below Slide Rock- is a nice paddle, III+/IV- with awesome scenery but there are lots of bushes in the river and three low bridges you have get out for. This needs a bit more water, 500 on the gauge is the bottom for me on this.

Oak Creek had a couple trees in it two weeks ago but they made from some fun boofs; everything was still runnable. I'm trying to catch Pumphouse Wash (Upper Oak Creek) with enough water in it if anyone is interested in that.

Give me a shout if it does come up.
Pete
928-699-5322
petertraylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009   #10

Christopher Creek, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1969
Easy God. No rain on the "shed at 4:54pm. Typical for the desert Sw. Weathermen are always betting the odds. My best guess on this storm is Monday afternoon and then not real big. If an AZ rockin creek is what this thread is about, then there's a bunch of them around. This time of year is hard to guess....by the time you get here, its over. Whats the priority? the steep creeks or the ease of shuttle? The short shit is the best but you have to be here and ready. But you knew all that already.
fdon is offline   Reply With Quote