O-hole!! - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-02-2012   #1

river zen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
O-hole!!

For anyone that has not be to the O-hole lately it has been improved. The hole was widened and the downstream left bank built up. Bottom line its WAY better than it used to be. So if your looking for water go check it out its nice.

Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2012   #2

Pueblo West, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Where is the "O-hole"?
Cipherion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012   #3

river zen, Colorado
Lyons, CO. There is a pull off just downstream and across the street from the u-pump it on hwy 66. Look for a small chain link fence boxing in where the water is diverted into the river. This feature and the small slalom course take advantage of a dam release and usually runs till October. Hence the nickname O-hole. The water is sucked off just downstream of the two drops
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2012   #4

October Hole Location:
lyons, co - Google Maps
robanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012   #5

Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Is it still flowing well? My play boating skills are pretty low, is it easy to surf? In your opinion, is it worth a drive up from Denver?
thanks for any info!
green.zorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012   #6

river zen, Colorado
Right now the water is up on the St. Vrain due to releases. The A-hole and blackbear hole are better. They are about 300-400 yds up stream of the O-hole. Across the street from the blackbear restaurant.
Old 07-12-2012   #7
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I wrote down the formula on the October hole on riverbrain. I think it's correct.

Saint Vrain River - October Hole - River Brain

Worth the drive from Denver is a harder question. Kind of depends on your motivation. A-hole should be nice and sticky and deep even at this level. BB hole probably has some mellow front surf action. I haven't been to October hole this year, but my recollection is it will probably give up some controlled ends but is flushy if you're like me and not so good at the "controlled" part. It has a nice pool behind it.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012   #8

Fort Collins
I was there on Sat. and I thought it was good. This was essentially my 1st surf session, and I found A-Hole to be a nice one to learn on. Black bear was a bit sticky for me, so I skipped it, I had fun charging through O-Hole a few times, and then I had a lot more fun learning to surf on the wave just downstream of O-Hole. I am not sure if it has a name. It was also not very crowded, except for somepeople fishing near O-hole, and a group of boogy boarders that showed up at A-hole.

The waves I surfed were definately easy to surf.
Old 07-12-2012   #9

Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Thanks to everyone for the info. With Golden at 160cfs, my guess is that it will be worth the drive. So did I correctly read that bb hole and a hole are running at 311 right now? If so, then thats definitely going to be worth coming up for. Do you think it will hold through the weekend?
Also, I noticed the pueblo pp came up to 400. That is the highest I've seen it all season. I remember being there awhile back at 500 and thinking I wouldn't drive down for less, but, unfortunately this low water season is making me reconsider. I'm desperate to get on the water but wont be able to camp this weekend. Anyone have experience/oinions with/about pueblo at 400? Anymore thoughts on bb and a hole vs. o hole at these flows? Also, I think there are some class 3 runs on the St. Vrain, are they flowing right now?
Again, thank you very much for the info! Making the best use of my tight gas budget is important right now.
green.zorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012   #10

A-hole will be good at 311. Been several people down there the past couple nights and it's been worth the drive from Ft. Collins.

I still find O-hole hit or miss. This year it has been miss three times and hit once. By hit you could stay in on loops and not flush before you finished plugging.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote