Numbers ice update Sun. 1/15 - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-15-2012   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Numbers ice update Sun. 1/15

Two of us went up to the Numbers today.
The ice conditions were much better than what they were reported to be on Saturday.
We drove from the Miner's lot to the top of No. 4. We scouted very thoroughly and did not see any river-wide ice bridges, or mandatory portages, from Miners up to somewhere above No. 6. No. 7 was fine. Number Six was tight and sketchy, but certainly not a mandatory portage. There are places between No. 6 and No. 5 where you can't see the river from the road and can't hike in because of private property... from what I saw, I am 90 percent sure there are no full ice bridges in there. Can't say for sure.
We resumed full scouting from the 5.5 takeout and scouted everything from there up to above Number 4. There are zero river-wide ice bridges from above No. 4 down through 5.5. Number four and Five both are fine. There isn't too much ice along the edges in most places. The put-in pool above No. 4 was mostly free of ice.
We paddled down through Number 4 and two-thirds of the way from there to the bridge above No. 5. We got out there, because one member of the group had never paddled with ice shelves before and was nervous and didn't want to do 5. Then we hiked back up and ran the same stretch again.
Not a lot of river miles, but still a lot of fun.
Worth it?
Subjective.
We did not look at anything above Number 4.

Id725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2012   #2

Basalt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
so you ran from 4 to 6?
one legged wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012   #3

Denver, Colorado
Ha ha - No. We only paddled Number 4 and half-way from Number 4 to Number 5.
Like a half-mile.
But we did it twice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2012   #4

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
You can't believe everything you read on the interwebs.
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #5

Denver, Colorado
Good point, Phil -
Anybody planning to paddle right now had better do their own, very thorough, scouting - whether there was a positive or negative report on conditions.
And it looks to me like, with what you saw on Saturday and what I saw on Sunday, the conditions are really volatile right now - Ice expanding and retreating quickly.
Still great boating to be had, but with extreme caution.
We didn't even get cold yesterday. Hands weren't cold.
Old 01-16-2012   #6

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Id725 View Post
And it looks to me like, with what you saw on Saturday and what I saw on Sunday, the conditions are really volatile right now - Ice expanding and retreating quickly.
It had a lot to do with the temps overnight. Friday night it got down to 19. Saturday night it didn't freeze....I had 32 at the house at sunrise. Good to hear you boys are still getting it done. Sounds like winter is back for awhile though.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote