Numbers #5 scout- owners view - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-31-2009   #1

Numbers #5 scout- owners view

There is a big hoopla over the Numbers 5 scout, now that there is a resident on river left that seems to think that boaters will trash the property. The owner's concerns are valid. That rapid has been nothing short of an eyesore since boaters have been drifting by. Looking past all of the garbage that has collected around #5, the foot traffic that has erroded all those rocks has become unbeariable. I've been boating the Numbers for years and every time I slide down #5 I say to myself "I hope someone buys this property so that they can do something about this eyesore. All of the rafters and kayakers over the years have spoiled this great spot". I'm sure the new owners will make it right....

downriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2009   #2

crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Send a message via Yahoo to milo
......#5......

...i've been running #5 for 17 seasons and you don't have to get on their property...just look from the bridge...and the road...and down river of the new house...if you can't see the frigen rapid from there go home, "build a rack and hang it up"....your boat , i am talking about....pick up trash when scouting and they may see that....fishermen tend to drop more trash than kayakers but i can't speak for rafter customers....try blue-angle sometime...you will be forced at some point in your career to go on verbal beta anyhow....love seeing that house there...what a rad spot....milozadik wishecoulski
milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009   #3

Numbers is read and run, you don't NEED to get out!
Tiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2009   #4

Cisco, Utah
Paddling Since: Dawn
So, what are you guys tryin to say?
UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009   #5

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Don't bash the landowners for wanting to keep their property clean.

I do understand both sides. And guys, whenever we are scouting any rapid we have to be quiet (imperceptible) and DON"T litter; regardless if it private property, BML, State Park, etc.
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009   #6
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
If that were my property I'd put out a bottle of cheap tequila, a bong and a cash box for donations so I could make the mortgage on the place.
Old 05-31-2009   #7
gh

pnw, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by downriver View Post
There is a big hoopla over the Numbers 5 scout, now that there is a resident on river left that seems to think that boaters will trash the property. The owner's concerns are valid. That rapid has been nothing short of an eyesore since boaters have been drifting by. Looking past all of the garbage that has collected around #5, the foot traffic that has erroded all those rocks has become unbeariable. I've been boating the Numbers for years and every time I slide down #5 I say to myself "I hope someone buys this property so that they can do something about this eyesore. All of the rafters and kayakers over the years have spoiled this great spot". I'm sure the new owners will make it right....
Lets see, its near a fairly busy road with lots of tourist traffic...I am sure the trash is from boaters, right? Give me a break.
Old 05-31-2009   #8

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Thanks for starting a thread with absolutely no new information on the land owner's perspective.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009   #9

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by downriver View Post
"I hope someone buys this property so that they can do something about this eyesore. All of the rafters and kayakers over the years have spoiled this great spot".
That is total bullshit, the erosion there has nothing to do with traffic on the river. There is very little litter in the area considering how heavily it is used by people like you who probably drive all day to come and run it. Get over it, run it or don't...but quit whining about it.
lmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009   #10

Local, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to paddlebizzle
Who cares? The guy bought the land and can do whatever he wants. Move on...
paddlebizzle is offline   Reply With Quote