NRS Cat Frame Scout Bars - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-16-2009   #1

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1989
NRS Cat Frame Scout Bars

Has anybody come up with a good way to add scout bars to the lower frame rails on an NRS cat frame? I've fallen through the middle of that frame and could have avoided the swim if I had a more solid place to plant my feet. I like the madcatr/PRE scout bars - they are just wide enough to provide good footing and a place to grab if you have an out-of-seat/boat experience, but they still keep the cockpit opening wide enough to get in/out of through the middle when you really need to. They also maintain good ground clearance under the majority of the frame.

So, would a couple low-pro's with a 2x4 attached be the way to go - or does someone have a better idea?

jmcdannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2009   #2
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
you are on the right track. you can get NRS to cut you a crossbar to any length if you don't mind going all the way across.

if you have a welding friend you could weld some AL angle to your rails to stand on or go cheap with hose clamps and wood.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009   #3

San Juans, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Josh,

1. You may have noticed that I had my scout bars attached to the top rail, but cut the middle out and spliced it so it would squeeze between the captain's boxes. Works very well, I have a wooden dowel holding them together that I fit in and soaked in water to swell. I should have just threaded PVC and padded it for barefoot summer days. You could use low pros attached to boards. You can also use inter tube rubber to attach NRS fittings to smaller sized pipe.

2. What is a solid ID cat boater doing dredging the UT/CO boating scene for advice

sn
dgosn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2009   #4

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I've been thinking of using the NRS side rail racks for scout bars. 3 ft. long, 8 inches wide, skidguard marine plywood, with Lo-Pros attached. My only issue is whether the Lo-Pros will stick out too much from the lower siderails and rub on the tubes. I've also thought about the NRS spreader bars with the skidguard decks attached. NRS will make a skidguard deck to any specs you want. They custom made a floor board for my cat with strap slots. Just give them a call.
KJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcdannel View Post
Has anybody come up with a good way to add scout bars to the lower frame rails on an NRS cat frame? I've fallen through the middle of that frame and could have avoided the swim if I had a more solid place to plant my feet. I like the madcatr/PRE scout bars - they are just wide enough to provide good footing and a place to grab if you have an out-of-seat/boat experience, but they still keep the cockpit opening wide enough to get in/out of through the middle when you really need to. They also maintain good ground clearance under the majority of the frame.

So, would a couple low-pro's with a 2x4 attached be the way to go - or does someone have a better idea?
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009   #5

Boise, Idaho
dgosn:
1. all i remember about being on your boat was the wire mesh floor, but i don't remember how it was attached.
2. because the idaho whitewater group has been a little slow and I'm bored and I want to boat so fucking bad, all I can do is talk about it. Did you get your sotar yet?

cataraft girl - I thought about that too - I have the 6' side rail rack and they're the best part of the frame now. I like the idea of getting a couple spreader bars and using that to attach some scout planks. I don't really want a full 8 inches, but it would be easy to attach a 2x4 or something. I need a spreader bar or 3rd yoke anyway. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 12-16-2009   #6

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Do you have a 66 in. or 72 in. wide NRS frame?
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009   #7

Boise, Idaho
I can't remember - I think it is 72. It's in storage right now, and I probably won't get it out until march or april.
Old 12-17-2009   #8

West of Boulder, CO
Paddling Since: 1996
I have a 72" NRS cat frame - lower bars are about 40" apart if memory serves. I just cut a 2x4 to sit on the bars, drilled two large diameter holes in each end, and cam-strapped it on. Its a redneck scout bar...
dogalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009   #9
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
I've been thinking of using the NRS side rail racks for scout bars. 3 ft. long, 8 inches wide, skidguard marine plywood, with Lo-Pros attached. My only issue is whether the Lo-Pros will stick out too much from the lower siderails and rub on the tubes. I've also thought about the NRS spreader bars with the skidguard decks attached. NRS will make a skidguard deck to any specs you want. They custom made a floor board for my cat with strap slots. Just give them a call.
KJ

Yes they the ends of the lopros will stick out too far and poke into the tubes
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009   #10

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Josh, would these speedrail T's work? I'm not sure of the config of the NRS catframe, but these are spares sitting around I'd be willing to part with, or tell you where to order. sounds like you'd need 4, and I have 2.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6103.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	560.3 KB
ID:	2162