Nov. 15 2019 Ark releases - Mountain Buzz

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1

Nov. 15 2019 Ark releases

I know they are testing the Granite dam feature Mon-Thurs. but the water is up early. It this going to hold through the weekend? Or is it going off for the weekend and on again on Monday? thanks!

jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
The water order from the BOR says to "hold the release until further notice" which leads me to believe they will hold it steady until after the testing is done on Thursday the 21st. Twin Lakes are still totally full so there is plenty of water to be moved....
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Jennifer and Logan - What's the flow? All the USGS gages are either iced or seasonal and I can't get the Wellsville gage to load (assuming the water's hit it yet...).

Thanks,

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1990
I have been using this gauge to get Pine Creek/Numbers/Fractions flows...but if anyone has reason to believe this isn't accurate please let me know!

https://dwr.state.co.us/surfacewater...px?ID=ARKGRNCO
stewart242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
Jennifer and Logan - What's the flow? All the USGS gages are either iced or seasonal and I can't get the Wellsville gage to load (assuming the water's hit it yet...).

Thanks,

-AH

The wellsville gauge as of right this minute is 603 CFS, it jumped up yesterday morning from 380 in about 20 minutes.
MNichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6

Buena Vista, Colorado
The link provided by Stewart has all the water gauges in every basin in Colorado. The USGS shuts theirs off at the same time every year, but the DWR gauges and those owned by local water conservancies generally stay on year round.

Right now you want to use the Granite gauge (not below Granite) plus Clear Creek below Clear Creek Reservoir for flows in the Numbers for 355 cfs.

The Salida gauge is the closest to Browns Canyon, but it does include a couple very small streams and some ground water recharge so I would subtract about 20 cfs giving us approximately 575 cfs in there....

and for the Gorge I would use the Canon City gauge, but add about 10-20 cfs for the diversion at the west edge of town. That means flows are about 600 in the Royal Gorge.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Sounds good. Thanks y'all! Doesn't look like quite enough to entice me to get the raft out for a late-season Brown's run this weekend, but I appreciate knowing what it is.

That said, will the sudden jump in flow impact the fishery or have negative effects? The only natural thing that kind of jump mimics is a flash flood. Hopefully when the testing ends they'll ramp the flow down gradually to be more in line with a natural flow decrease.

Thanks again,

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #8

Buena Vista, Colorado
The brown trout spawn should be done for the season. A 250 cfs bump shouldn't effect anything negatively since the flow was already so low. The only real problem would be a flushing flow that would scour the eggs from the gravel bars. The BOR is starting "winter water operations" so it's likely there will be supplemented flows off and on through-out the winter... not to mention the testing that was done on The Silver Bullet in November a few years back. The flow was bumped up to like 1100 and it had no negative effects on the fishery.

Tags
ark