Nose plugs and Nomads - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-24-2015   #1

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2014
Nose plugs and Nomads

It's time for me to ditch the nose plugs, how do I get used to the feeling of water rushing in or find a way to block water from getting in without wasting all my air on blowing the water out?

And
I've been eyeing the nomad for a while and am thinking about selling my mamba for a nomad 8.5, I have an older mamba 8.0 that has like 62 G volume so it will just a slight size increase of ~16G to the 8.5... How do the nomads paddle compared to a mamba?

jjeco5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2015   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
1 practice. You will get used to closing off your nostrils and blowing out any water quickly. Some that are predisposed to sinus infections will advocate for continuous use, but I personally only use them for play boating.

2 the Nomad will take more effort to keep straight and steer than the Mamba, but it will ride on top of the water and resurface easier off bigger drops. I personally prefer the planning hull to the displacement hull.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015   #3

Albuquerque, New Mexico
The main thing I don't like about the mamba is how low it sits in the water and have some trouble keeping the bow dry, I love everything else. Sometimes the stern will sink in the backwash of a hole/wave and catch me up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2015   #4

Arvada, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
love my nomad, and I also paddle a burn 3. the nomad favors an aggressive paddle style, it doesn't carve well, so when Im in my nomad I swing her big ass around, point it in the right direction , and bomb everything. it punches holes great and will go thru just about anything. not the most nimble or agile boat by a long shot though.
Skillkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015   #5

Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Neil Med Sinus rinse or Neti Pot
RiversRohrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015   #6

Enfield, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 1990
The big difference I found bet the 2 is that the Nomad is slapped around easier when in bigger wave trains.The mamba holds a line better there. It also surfs much better if that matters to you. The Nomad is easier to roll, at least for me.They both will boof and punch through as well as any other.
JIMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015   #7
addict

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Noseplugs:
Buy a Nomad and get flipped over less often. Less is more. Sunglasses, ear plugs, nose plugs, elbow pads, pogies, gloves, full face helmet, skull cap. Too many accessories. Focus on the kayaking.

Nomad:
The standard to which most creek boats are compared.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015   #8

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Has anyone used a Tuna and a nomad? Im looking at the Tuna and it looks sweet, also, anyone know where I can demo either of them? im in albuquerque, NM
Old 01-26-2015   #9

CCC, CO
For the Nomad, your closest dealer is probably CKS in Buena Vista, CO. Not exactly close, but a good excuse to do a weekend on the Ark. Or you could call up the whitewater rafting companies in Taos to see if they happen to have any Nomads around they'd let you try for some $.

For Tuna, good luck finding one in the states. France and Germany, maybe NZ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeco5 View Post
Has anyone used a Tuna and a nomad? Im looking at the Tuna and it looks sweet, also, anyone know where I can demo either of them? im in albuquerque, NM
benR is offline   Reply With Quote