North St. Vrain(below button rock res) - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-23-2005   #1
suigeneris

loveland, Colorado
North St. Vrain(below button rock res)

I've got the 1st edition of CRC which say's that it is illegal between button rock and longmont res. Is this doable now at high flow from button rock down to put in for Apple Valley bridge run? Looks like a spectacular canyon! Is there really another resevoir below button rock? Seems like a good section to pair up with the RD 80 run.

suigeneris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2005   #2

Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1992
If you put in at the gate of Button Rock Preserve you can paddle downstream into the Class V- middle section of NSV, which runs into the Class III CR80 run that you are talking about. This is totally legal.

What is not legal is to hike upstream from the gate and run section from Button Rock reservoir down (there is no way to drive to the reservoir by the way, only rangers and private land owners around the reservoir can).

If we can make it though the current 2 year test period and get access for UNSV paddlers granted permanently then we may be able to get them to open up the section below button rock to intermediate paddlers. But that is a battle for another day. They are facing lots of pressure from mtn bikers, equestrians, lake paddlers, etc... to open up the preserve and were lucky as it is to have this 2 year grace period to impress on them that access out of UNSV is not a major liability.
badkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005   #3

Laramie, Wyoming
Ok, total geek out moment, but I just uploaded a map of the button rock to longmont dam section. I'm thinking it's about 1 1/2 to 2 miles long.

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/album_page.php?pic_id=608
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2005   #4

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Basically, you can NOT boat the section you speak of unless you boat all the way from Peak-to-Peak highway (V+).

I was up there at the resevoir hiking earlier this spring and ran into a ranger (the nice one). He said that if they catch any boaters hiking there boats above the gate Badkin's speaks of, it'll be a black mark on the test period we've been graciously extended.

I'm not an upper-NSV caliber paddler, so I'll continue to happily put in at the gate and float to apple valley for my kicks. Don't be a dick and fuck it up for those guys though.

PS - I know you were just asking, but I thought I'd expand on the implications.
Schizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005   #5
suigeneris

loveland, Colorado
NSV-longmont to RD80

So the resevoir above locked gate is actually Longmont resevoir? The sign said Button Rock. There is a culvert below it, who has run through the tunnel? Is it legal to put in below the locked gate/culvert? Looks like a scenic run prior to canyon with private residences. Is the canyon prior to put in for RD80-Apple Valley bridge the V- stuff?

Thanks,
suigeneris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005   #6

i dunno. from the map the brian posted (which is directly from the Longmont Water Utilities pamphlet) there's a road leading to both the reservoir and the "kayak entry" on NSV. anyone ever used either of these? what's the difficulty of the last portion of NSV before the reservoir? so you have to paddle across the lake and portage the dam to get to the fun. anyone know if it's worth it????

sorry, lots of questions i ain't from around here. at least not for the last 4 weeks.

to answer your questions tho...
you can run the river from the gate down to the bridge. or anyother takeout along the road. i've run it 5 times in the last month and it's a great run. yes, it's the V- section in CRC.

dan G
dango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005   #7

Laramie, Wyoming
Quote:
there's a road leading to both the reservoir and the "kayak entry" on NSV.
Everything around the reservoir is either part of the preserve or private land, so basically there is no access. To get to the reservoir you only have 2 options, kayak down from UNSV (legal for now), or hike up from the gate (which to state the obvious again is illegal with a kayak).

Quote:
So the resevoir above locked gate is actually Longmont resevoir?
Yup, if it's a 40 foot dam with flow over the top that's Longmont reservoir. Keep hiking up (bring a fishing rod that's totally legal) and you can check out the outlet to Button Rock. Spectacular to say the least.

Quote:
Is it legal to put in below the locked gate/culvert?
Yes, as long as you're below the gate you're totaly legit.
Old 06-24-2005   #8

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
We ran from the gate down last night. Good fun!

In the second big rapid on the right side there's some wood, just like the picture in the guidebook. Other than that, it was clean.
Schizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005   #9

funny. i bet i saw you guys roll into oscar blues last night after the run. we just ended up at the playpark since the usual crew couldnt be persuaded to do it 2 days in a row. but i love that run.

thanks for the clarification on access. the road leading to the "kayak entry" on their map kinda gave me some false hope. oh well.
dango is offline   Reply With Quote