North Platte from Pickaroon to Bennet Peak - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-25-2007   #1

North Platte from Pickaroon to Bennet Peak

We are planning a float trip on the North Platte in WY with a put in at Pickaroon campground & take out at Bennet Peak or Corral Creek (june28 - july1st). 3 days & 2 nights on the river .... a lot of fishing and family fun ..... in a 16' paddle boat....

Looking for feedback:

Is the road to pickaroon all 4wd, hard to find & how long a drive off hwy 230 comming from FT Collins, hard to tell best access from the map?

Is it possiable to access Picaroon from the road on the west side of the river Hyw220 (looks like there may be a boat carry down a 1/2 miles of steeps)?

Is everything down to Bennet PK class ones or less?

Is it hard to find legal camping along the way?

Is it true no permit required ..... open fires allowed?.

Better to leave cars at Bennett Peak or Corral Creek?

LOOKING FOR SHUTTEL SERVICE LEADS.... someone to drive 3 people from BPk/CCk area back to Pickaroon late afternoon June 28th.

thanks
the Landry-Murphys

Tim@FotoImagery.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2007   #2

lack of water may be your biggest problem.
bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007   #3

North Platte

The road to Pickaroon is long and rough, but I have seen non 4WD vehicles do OK on it. It is not hard to find. The road to Pick from the west side of the river is the definition of 4WD... A friend traded in his truck after the last trip down that one. You would be better off running Northgate and having the family walk down from the access at 6mile gap [You do not want to carry raft gear up or down there, but it is a nice road and a short path to the river]. The float from there to Pickaroon is beautiful, and camping is possible. After Pickaroon camping is a problem, but apparently there is one place... I am not sure if it is pay or not, but at Sanger Bridge there appears to be some sort of camping. Best to check this out before launching.

There is some sideflow at Pickaroon [Douglas Creek], so the Northgate guage may not reflect what you got. It is more properly a class 2 trip than a 1, but there is really nothing of any consequence. By the way, what is less than class 1?
festivus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2007   #4

Make sure you have a backup....

Make sure you have a backup. I have had a trip planned for late June the last couple of years but they have fallen apart and we had to go to other rivers. The water trails off quickly on the North Platte. I have talked to guys that have floated that stretch in hard boats down to 400 cfs but it was slow and skinny.

We are heading up this weekend for a run from sixmile to treasure island.
rsmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007   #5

SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Why Pick-a-roon?

It's a long skank on the dirt to your proposed put-in. If you're running a paddle raft, I'd put in at Six Mile Gap (easy highway access with a downhill carry) and spend the time you be driving around to Pick on the river instead. (More floating, less driving = good.)

Below Six Mile Gap there are nice rock gardens and tumbledowns, sporty in a canoe, but not an issue for a paddle raft.

At Corral Ck. you have to carry about 200-300 yds. up to the campground. Bennett Peak means 30 min more driving, with a boat ramp.

My favorite trip is Six Mile to Treasure Island, with two camps.

Below 800 cfs it's a cobble-kisser. I've run in a ducky at 350 cfs and walked half the way.

kia ora,
Chip
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill View Post
lack of water may be your biggest problem.
b, what do you think our min flow should be to proceed? We don't mind walking a few shalows ....... this is mostly a leasure trip.

If it is low at Pickaroon, we could put in a Bennet Creek and go down to Treasure Island and expect more water .........yes?

thanks for your feel back
T
Tim@FotoImagery.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007   #7

Loated it over memorial day weekend from Sixmile to treasure Island. We put in at 750 and the river dropped to 620 on the last day. The streach from Sixmile to Pickaroon was really rough on the boats. We were loaded for 3 days on the river too. Douglas creek at Pickaroon adds quite a bit of water so the gauge for Northgate does not reflect that addition...
Old 06-04-2007   #8

saratoga, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1980
north platte fishing and floating from a local guide

Hey I'm a guide on the Platte and can answer some questions in concrete for you. Some folks have given good info but others are a bit off. Our current flows are ok for fun floats but theer is no white-water. There really hasn't been any all year. At these flows north gate is LAME. Boney and thin. 6-mile offers the easiest wyoming access but I put in on the Prospect Creek side (west side) more often than Doug Crick or Pickaroon side. I use a drift-boat more often than a raft on these waters. I've seen another guide roll (in his vehicle) down the picakroon side and it wasn't good. Both roads are for real but the west side is quicker and the shuttle for the pickaroon side is about 2 1/2 hours to Bennett... for the west side is 1 1/4 hours but you need a 4wheel drive and you can get all the way to the water. I can't carry a drift-boat on my back. You do not want to do this below 500 period. Folks will tell you stories of how they did it lower and tell you you could do it but they just want someone else to go through the shit they did. Just don't pack a ton of gear to weigh your boat down. It's a short quick float. Don't make it an epic. Travelling light... it's the only way to fly.

Millies riffles are a 3 mile stretch just above Bennett peak canyon and can be a nightmare in low water. Not only are you pushing and pulling and nailing boulders but you have the Sangers following you with the four-wheelers and guns to make sure you don't touch there ground. They are not afraid to shoot over the raft or boats or your heads. I have been been flaoting this water for about a month now and have seen some of your responders on the water. Memorial day weekend was crazy. Floatilla after floatilla. The busiest I've seen in a while. I saw the most trash I've ever seen so people PACK YOUR TRASH OUT.

The Bennett peak canyon is nice 3 mile stretch and can be done in a little lower water (350csf) but with plenty of light. I've seen local guides get boats jammed in here so don't let your guard down. Then your at Bennett and ready to go back to Colorado.

We float Doug Crick to Bennett in a day and most local boaters float 6-mile to Bennett in a day at 500csf or more. Anything less than we float 6-mile to Doug Crick and forget about doug to Bennett. I have a fly shop in the Saratoga Inn and offer the cheapest shuttles. Let me know if I can help any further. 307-710-2203 mobile or 307-326-5326 shop RP

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
We are planning a float trip on the North Platte in WY with a put in at Pickaroon campground & take out at Bennet Peak or Corral Creek (june28 - july1st). 3 days & 2 nights on the river .... a lot of fishing and family fun ..... in a 16' paddle boat....

Looking for feedback:

Is the road to pickaroon all 4wd, hard to find & how long a drive off hwy 230 comming from FT Collins, hard to tell best access from the map?

Is it possiable to access Picaroon from the road on the west side of the river Hyw220 (looks like there may be a boat carry down a 1/2 miles of steeps)?

Is everything down to Bennet PK class ones or less?

Is it hard to find legal camping along the way?

Is it true no permit required ..... open fires allowed?.

Better to leave cars at Bennett Peak or Corral Creek?

LOOKING FOR SHUTTEL SERVICE LEADS.... someone to drive 3 people from BPk/CCk area back to Pickaroon late afternoon June 28th.

thanks
the Landry-Murphys
rmpeddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014   #9

denver, Colorado
Do we think the flows will hold steady enough this year to float this over the 4th of July? 14ft SB, Super Puma, and a drifty.

Thanks
gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014   #10

your guess is as good as anyone... depends on how low your willing to take it.